ProtoBuf Client Implementation

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by dgelman, Feb 18, 2015.

1. dgelman

dgelman New Member

Hello Community,

I have data transmission to embedded Arduino system application. I currently have 2 applications that are currently separated, which I would like to combine into one system.

a) First, I have a ProtoBuf Client/Server application currently working on my local computer. This was developed (not be me) in C# using MS Visual Studio. The protobuf example streams data from the server to the client. In addition to the client and server, I can generate a .proto file which (I was instructed) describes the data coming from the server in a C++ programming environment. Just a warning, I am very new to protobuf!

b) I would like to use the incoming data, from the server, as a variable in an Arduino Due application. The PC would be the server, and the UDOO would be a client. Currently my embedded system runs on a standalone Arduino Due. With the implementation of protobuf, I feel that the UDOO may be perfect for this application.

I just have some general questions on how to get started on my journey. I have a fresh UDOO Quad running Ubuntu:

1) What software/packages do I need?
    2) What are keywords I can google in order to learn.
    3) If anyone has any examples.
    4) Any general comments that can help.

I truly appreciate any help. Thank you
    Daniel