Proxmox 6.2 (with kernel 5.4) can not install in the eMMC drive

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Lator, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Lator

Lator UDOOer

I am testing if Udoo will run Proxmox. I have searched the forums and found a thread where someone was asking if anyone had managed but there was no positive or negative resolution.

When I have tried installing Proxmox myself I found out that Proxmox does not install in the internal eMMC memory drive. In the Udoo Wiki I have read that linux distributions with kernel 5.2.5 or later should detect the eMMC drive. I am trying to install Proxmox 6.2, which has kernel 5.4, and it detects the eMMC memory but will give error if selected for installation.

I am on my way to buy a NVME drive to test, but I would like to ask the forums what could be causing this issue. Also, if someone can confirm that Proxmox can run in the Udoo Bolt I would be thankful.

2. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Hello, are you using the UDOO BOLT or the UDOO BOLT GEAR? The latter doesn't have an eMMc

3. Lator

Lator UDOOer

I have the Udoo Bolt, I have succesfully installed Ubuntu 20.04 in the eMMc. Also, the Proxomox installation detects the eMMc as a destination drive to install the system, it is just that when you try to install it, it will not work. Has anyone been succesful at installing Proxmox in the eMMc?

4. Lator

Lator UDOOer

Just an update in case anyone is interested: Proxmox can be installed in the Udoo Bolt in a M2 nvme drive. Proxmox still does not detect the eMMc (even when it detects it in the installation process) despite using a linux kernel that should detect the eMMC, basically rendering the eMMc useless.

But I can confirm Proxomox works well using an external drive in Udoo Bolt.

5. wind.gmbh

wind.gmbh UDOOer

I am running a Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Xen Hypervisor 4.11 on a Udoo Bolt V8 from the eMMC.
    However my preferred virtualization solution regarding stability and performance is to install the hypervisor onto a M.2 Sata III drive while using the M.2 NVMe slot for the storage pool and 2,5" SATA disks for backup.
    Besides Ubuntu 20.04 LTS I can confirm XCP-ng 8.1 and XCP-ng 8.2 LTS (Release Candidate) running very smoothly as well.

waltervl likes this.