Push Compiled Sketch to Arduino from Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by Jared Freedman, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Jared Freedman

Jared Freedman New Member

I've been working with the UDOO for a few months now and have gotten it to do everything I want it to do except for one thing . . . and that is having my server generate a sketch file based on user input, compile it on the server, have the Android retrieve the compiled file, and push it to the Arduino over the internal USB, thereby reconfigure the Due on-the-fly. I understand that this is not supported. After looking at the ADK and the schematics and the theory behind the i.MX and SAM3X8E being separate computers on the same board but having a joint USB, it seems to me there is no reason why it should not be possible to push a program to Arduino via Android over this USB. I'm a low level developer, have been for over two decades. If you guys were tell me how you would do it if you had the time, I'll be the one to make it work, but starting from scratch is going to take longer than I have. I'm sure someone over there thought about pushing compiled sketch over to Arduino from Android when you were creating the platform and for whatever reason decided not to do it. I want to know what those reasons were, because from a physical and logical standpoint, there seems to be no reason why it can't be done. Help me help the community by giving me information to write the driver software to push a compiled sketch onto Arduino from Android.

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there Jared,
    sorry for answering late. We've thought about this opportunity since the beginning, but we haven't enabled it yet due to scheduling problem.
    It's absolutely viable.
    You must use the bossac uploader - the one we use on Linux is this one. The uploader switches 2 GPIOs to erase and reset the Arduino processor. Then the uploader uploads the binary. The bossac should be compiled like a binary running on Android, or like a JNI library of an Android app.
    If you, as you said, are willing to make your hands dirty by developing this solution your effort will be much appreciated :)

3. eric

eric New Member

Has any work been done on this front? I'd be interested in helping too as it's a feature I'd love to have access to.