Questions about a Udoo X86 as a USB hifi transport

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by tux, Jul 17, 2017.

1. tux

tux New Member

Hi all,

being the creator of Archphile I have played around with many ARM boards, including Udoo Quad, which remains one of my favorites.
    I am currently considering a Udoo X86 ultra to be used as my main transport for my hifi and the Archphile recipe on it (with extra tweaks such as realtime kernel etc that X86 architecture offers). However I need to ask some questions first in order to understand if it will suit my needs or not:

- The main reason I like all these boards is that they have passive cooling. I need to know that the ultra board won't need a fan to operate normally. My room temperatures are very normal and the load of Archphile is almost zero.

- Another concern I have is the USB implementation and performance. The reason I ask is because I have a bad experience from Odroid C2. With this board I get approx 8-9k interrupts per second on USB using my Aune S16 dac and I need to finetune IRQ etc in order for the music reproduction to be ok.

Has anyone measured USB interrupts or at least has successful experience with usb devices, especially audio?

Many thanks in advance,

Michael
    Archphile Developer

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Suggest to use SPDIF as the digital transport.

P.S. Braswell's XHCI controller should do pretty well in high speed isochronous transfer

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I have my Advanced running 24/7. Main usage is full screen graphics display. I haven't measured temperatures, not other than by touching the cooling block, but I didn't think it was hot.

4. tux

tux New Member

Thanks for the feedback. What I did not mention is that in my setup setup will be headless so there will be zero demand for graphics/display etc.

5. SteveD

SteveD Member

I run my advanced as a 24/7 server / seedbox, the heatsink does get warm, but rarely up to 55C to turn on my fan. Your headless setup should run fine.