questions to ask first

Discussion in 'XBMC' started by fabulou$, Dec 4, 2013.

1. fabulou$

fabulou$ New Member

Hi all,

I want to buy UDOO quad but I have several questions first.
    The goal is to make a NAS / DLNA server for storage and video playback with XBMC. Simple as possible .
    -Is UDOO HDMI-CEC? I don't need keyboard, mouse but wish to use the RCU of my TV
    -what do you think is the best solution to install XBMC? Existing information is not clear. An OS purely XBMC or Ubuntu + XBMC? (I know Ubuntu)
    -can we put XBMC autorun on boot ?
    -can you connect a 3.5 "hard drive without fan? A tutorial that shows it can be done but in the diagram we see a fan ?

Thank you for the answers to a noob. Sorry for bad english speaking.

Fab

2. Nexxy

Nexxy New Member

Hi,

first there is a xbmc image here in the forum .. mb you should read those first before posting and asking things that are allready answered.

This image has an "autostart" of XBMC, and many other things you want to have.

Additionally you can compile minidlna to have some DLNA support .. which isnt needed cauz you want to load your data directly from an HDD / USB Drive.

The current XBMC image doesnt have FUSE support included in the kernel and is based on the Yocto Linux Project, because of that missing FUSE support you wont be able to mount devs with NTFS or other File-based-Filesystems like Truecrypt container / partitions.

-> but NFS is working for the moment.

Greets
    Nex

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

The only question Nex hasn't covered (I think) is the CEC question.

Currently no, UDOO Rev D doesn't support CEC.

4. fabulou$

fabulou$ New Member

thank you for the reply. XBMC works perfectly and I am very happy.

I plugged in a hard drive and I want to be able to copy movies as the easiest way for my Windows PC.

I looked NFS but I can not install from putty: smart install nfs-kernel-server does not work but I do not use the right method surely.