Recycle old Laptop with Udoo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nana_Qhuacy, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Nana_Qhuacy

Nana_Qhuacy New Member

Hello Community,
    I would first of all want to clarify that I do not own an Udoo or any other SBC yet [​IMG] . However, I am developing such great interest in it.

I have this HP Stream 13 signature Edition Laptop that, for some reasons unknown to me, fails to boot entirely into the OS. This all started after it fell from a slightly elevated height so I am guessing the main board has sustained some "injuries" [​IMG]

I am planning on getting the Ultra variant of the Udoo [​IMG] to replace the stock board that comes with the laptop. i want the community to help me plan this little "project" of mine to have a successful and hopefully low cost outcome.

Looking forward to your ideas and opinions. [​IMG]

2. deozza

deozza New Member

I'm planning to do the exact same thing (and like you i don't own a udoo yet).

Personnaly i thought to build a portable all in one. I'd tear apart the lcd screen from the laptop and stick all the parts (lcd drive board, udoo and battery circuit) on the back. The real problem here is the power bank/battery. I have no idea if i should buy a laptop power bank (with a 12v dc output) or build it myself.

Basically i got the idea from

If you want to replace the laptop's motherboard with a udoo, it'd be more difficult. The display, keyboard and battery don't have the right connectors (or voltage)

3. Nana_Qhuacy

Nana_Qhuacy New Member

Wow! what are the odds. i kinda figured the whole "won't be able to fit all the components into that small chassis" thing on my own. Problem is, I don't know where I'd find all the components required to build something like what the guy from DIY Perks built. ;) ooh yeah! I watched that video too :p:cool:

With regard to the power supply, I was thinking of re-purposing the Stream 13's battery since it had such a great battery life but getting it to output just 5v@2A as required by the Udoo is a nightmare even to my imagination.

Be sure to let me know if you find a "low cost" solution to this common predicament of ours.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

A Udoo X86 needs 12V +/- 5% !!
    For various use cases you can read the power consumption in the pdf user manual that you can download here https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Introduction/Introduction.html

You can download other technical information (Schematisc, 3D files) here: https://www.udoo.org/other-resources/

5. Nana_Qhuacy

Nana_Qhuacy New Member