SATA HD Performances

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by zigmo, May 22, 2014.

1. zigmo

zigmo New Member

Hi all,

I'd like to know what is your average performance of the SATA HD.
    The problem is that a notice that sometimes a decrease on performance of the UDOO quad board and seems that the bottleneck is the access to the SATA HD.
    Doing some test with gnome-disks the performance of the HD is significantly different when I use my HD attached to the UDO board (SATA to SATA) despite when I use the HD as an external disk (E-SATA to E-SATA with a box).
    The two strange thing is that the E-SATA box doesn't work with the UDOO using a SATA to E-SATA cable and that, sometimes, with the SATA-SATA configuration the disk is recognized at U-BOOT level (sata init works well) but the OS doesn't boot because remain in waiting the /dev/sda device.

Probably I was unlucky with the sata cable/connectors that i use but is quite strange because i make the test it with several cable solution.

Regards,
    Marco

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

I use a 2.5 inch laptop drive connected by a sata to sata lead, and it`s working quite well, faster and more stable than a sd card , but if you want to push your udoo to the maximum throughput I would use a stolid state drive.
    You don`t get the performance of a standard P.C using a SSD , but it does improve the throughput a little if you are going to use your udoo for a nas etc.