Screen orientation and Nav Bar placement

Discussion in 'Android' started by frudman, Aug 25, 2015.

1. frudman

frudman Member

I've seen a few posts asking for customization of the placement of the Navigation Bar (back, home, recent apps) but not [helpful] answer.

So I'm asking the udoo staff (and/or the Seco staff), when you compile the Android source to binary, which settings or configuration flags do you set (and to what) that results in the navigation bar appearing on the Right side of the screen (on your 7" LCD) even as the menu bard is at the top (for landscape orientation).

What we need specifically:

1) The navigation bar to always appear at the bottom, always. Our app is not "mobile" and we want all apps (ours and other Android apps) to run in landscape mode (or at least to think that the screen layout is wider than it is tall). There's obviously no "orientation sensor" on the udoo screen so there must be a place "somewhere" where that orientation is set to landscape. So somewhere [else?] there must also be a setting that explicitly places the nav bar on the right. Where is that? And is a recompile of the source required or just a flag/setting in one of the .ini files? And which one? Please be specific.

2) We'd like to also customize the graphic images for the back/home/recent-apps soft buttons. Where are those default images stored in the udoo/aosp source structure? Are there specific instructions/warnings to replace them with our own?

3) Is it possible to add additional soft buttons in that nav area? If so, how?

No need to reply "just recompile the source." We already expect that. No need to reply "we only use the Seco AOSP code so we don't know." We're already familiar with that answer.

Please let us know what settings/flags and where to set them.

Thanks.
    Freddy.

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there frudman,
    your requests would require a lot of work to be done, and we are not able at the moment to allocate someone just for this task. I'm sorry but this is the only answer I can give you at the moment.

3. marcap599

marcap599 New Member

Hi Freddy,
    I have similar problem like your.
    Yesterday I got my first UDOO quad, I need to use it with a 7" LCD display with HDMI in (this is not provided from UDOO but from ebay).
    Basically follow this doc: http://www.udoo.org/docs/Hardware & Accessories/UDOO_Setup_lvds_panels
    Install the drive for communication with the UDOO board (trough the CN6) with a USB-USBmicro cable, then use PUTTY.exe to estabilish a serial connection and hit a key of your laptop during the boot (you heve 3 seconds before the android boot start).

After some tests I found what i need:
    Using this configuration the android bar appears on the right and the screen is set-up at 800x480. You can try also different resolution:

setenv bootargs console=ttymxc1,115200 init=/init video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,800x480M@25,if=RGB666,-bpp=32 video=mxcfb1:eek:ff video=mxcfb2:eek:ff fbmem=28M vmalloc=400M androidboot.console=ttymxc1 androidboot.hardware=freescale mem=1024M

then save the setting and reboot (use the reset button on UDOO board)

saveenv

As you can see the above string is a mix of what suggested in the doc, and it works fine with my LCD, I can't put the fps higher than 25 otherwise the monitor start flikering. I know this is not the total answer to your question but it could help you.

IMG_2876.JPG IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    This last picture is showing VOLUMIO running on my RaspberryPI connected in the same network.

4. fabio978

fabio978 Member

@marcap599 , your screen looks "stretched", am i right? That doesn't happen with the LVDS 7" screen (and when plugged with HDMI to a TV @1080p)
    Plus, this is the "standard" behaviour on a 7", while Freddy was asking how he could "move" navigation buttons on the bottom part of the screen (is like that when you connect it to a TV with HDMI).

5. marcap599

marcap599 New Member

@fabio978
    No, the screen is not stretched, that is how a setting of 800x480 resolution will appear on a 7" display, may be it is affected by the camera. I do not have a LVDS screen, so I can't tell you what you'll get.
    No, this is not a standard for a HDMI 7" display! If you plug-in the HDMI on a 7" without changing the resolution as mentioned on my above post, you simply get the same as on a 50" Tv screen. In other terms the HDMI output is not able to resize it's resolution automatically, you need to manually configure it.
    Remember that the setting (and the physical connection) for the HDMI and LVDS screens are different and can be setted in a different way.

Concerning the question 1 of @frudman , I have tested some resolution, and I have seen that not all have the bar on the right, so, if you want the bar on the bottom with a 7" display you can use a different HDMI 7" monitor instead of the LVDS from UDOO, this solution allow you to choose little bit more, doing what exactly @frudman is asking will require different job as replied from udoo team.

6. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Or you can play with density until you have the bar in the right side.
    adb shell wm density 190

I have the resolution 1280x800 and the density default is 160, if i setup density to 190 the navigation bar move in the right.