SD Card/Disk performance test Results

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DracoLlasa, Dec 5, 2013.

  1. DracoLlasa

    DracoLlasa UDOOer

    Oct 15, 2013
    Likes Received:
    PC Setup
    * Host PC used for baseline testing is Windows 7 64 bit
    * Each MicroSD card was formatted with SDFormatter v4.0 quick format, size adjustment on, set to FAT32
    * USB 3.0 SD Card reader properly connected to the PC using USB 3.0 cable
    * Performance testing done on the PC side with CrystalDiskmark 3.0.3 x64
    * The performance test were done with Seq test and 100MB size
    [Results below]

    UDOO Setup
    * UDOO test with Linaro/Ubuntu OS UDOO Image v1.3 unmodified. Meaning the SD card received the UDOO image, was inserted into the UDOO board and no updates or anything were done other than installing the testing tool.
    * Tests were performed on the UDOO using IOZONE to test read/write performance. For each card I ran the test command 3-4 times and the best speed overall recorded for both read and write results
    [Results below]

    iozone command used
    iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 1M -r 10M -i 0 -i 1
    To Do’s
    1.) Complete testing of the SSD Disks
    2.) Test other SD Cards

    Feedback is welcome, if you want me to include different tests on the UDOO with different tools or different commands I can do that and add the results to the spreadsheet

    Overall it appears the UDOO is limited to a read rate of 20 MB/s. Even when using cards that testing at more than double that on the PC side, the UDOO seem to be stuck at right about 20MB/s.
    As for write rates, overall they seemed to align fairly well with the PC based baseline tests. We expect the performance to be lower a bit and the variance from one card to another stayed pretty consistent.

    Link to results
  2. torqu3e

    torqu3e New Member

    Oct 13, 2013
    Likes Received:
    I ran some numbers with a 2.5 inch 1TB hard drive connected to the sata port for some testing of my own.

    ubuntu@udoo:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/drive/test.1g count=1024 bs=1M
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.9077 s, 108 MB/s
    ubuntu@udoo:~$ dd if=/media/drive/test.1g of=/dev/null count=1024 bs=1M
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.9259 s, 90.0 MB/s
    Reading from the drive got me as much as 113 MB/s peak, this was a slower run. The file is actually 1 GB, not 1.1, dd counts powers of 10 instead of 2.

    ubuntu@udoo:~$ ls -alh /media/drive/test.1g 
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 1.0G Dec 31 03:34 /media/drive/test.1g
    The drive I am using is a Hitachi 5K1000, its rated at 5400 RPM, and has 2 x 500 GB platters. Understandably faster than a single platter drive.

Share This Page