SD card size, google play and dual boot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simmisj, Oct 28, 2013.

1. simmisj

simmisj New Member

Hi.
    I just received my Udoo duo some days ago and now I have to buy an SD card.
    I read that even if you use a card with more memory than 8GB then only 8GB are available. So my first question is if this might get changed in future software updates or something. If there is a possibility that I could use any size in the near future then I will buy a 32 or 64GB card. If not then 8GB is much cheaper and better option.

Second, I see that there is no google play store on the Android OS. Will this be changed? Is it possible to use some other image than the one that is provided on the Udoo webpage so that it includes the play store?

Third, is it possible to dual boot. So I can choose between Android and Ubuntu on boot time?

Thanks everyone

2. andcmp

andcmp New Member

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83&p=1067&hilit=google+play#p1006

I don't think you really need dual boot since you can just swipe the micro SD card to change from one OS to another.

3. simmisj

simmisj New Member

I guess I did not do a good search.
    Thanks for the links though.

About my last question. That is exactly what I do not want to do. I don't want to have to reinstall the OS that I want to use and then reinstall all the applications for that OS. That is why I want a dual boot. I want to be able to switch between them so I can have them both functional. Android as a game machine and Ubuntu as a development machine / media server.
    I hope there will be some way of doing this soon.

4. andcmp

andcmp New Member

My suggestion was about using 2 micro SD card, one for Android and one for Ubuntu, so you don't have to flash the OS every time, and you're good to go.

5. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

I agree with andcomp ... get two microSD cards. It's what I did and works well. They're cheap, about $7-8 for 8GB class 6 or better. These are project boards and that's very little compared with the other pieces you'll be adding over time. Saves having to reimage just to change OSes.

6. simmisj

simmisj New Member

Yeah. I guess buying two cards is a good option.
    That is probably what I will end up doing.

Thanks guys.

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

buying 2 cards is really the best options, and for your question regarding size of the cad, go with the biggest you are comfortable buying financially.
    Make sure you get the fastest ie. Class 10 type card.

The other thing that is important is, the tool you use to write the OS image to the SD card win32diskimage works in reverse, and this is important to remember. For example when you get your Linaro/Ubuntu image working the way you want it, with all the software you setup the way want, or anytime before you make a change that may be risky.. Take the SD card back to your PC and use the win32diskimage too and "read" the SD card and it will create a new image file. This allows you to take a sort of snapshot of the card so you can always roll back to it if you break it.
    Point is, you should not have to reinstall everything.. just take a new image of the SD card once you have it setup.

8. simmisj

simmisj New Member

DracoLiasa, I did not know that. That is an awesome tip. Thanks. I will be sure to use that feature!

9. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

No probolem, its something i do ALL the time. for my RasPi i have half a dozen different images.
    You can do the same here... so even if you have 1 SD card,m you can build a web server, take and image... rebuild as XBMC system, take image.. setup as development workstation, take image..
    then you have all of the images you need, and you don't have to have a card for each one.. Obviously the more cards the better, but not everyone can afford to just buy 10 sd cards.

My other suggestion on the cards, is to watch Amazon gold box deals, (there is even an rss feed) almost every week there is at least 1 deal on SD and MicroSD cards. Just last week they had High-End Sony cards on sale. i got like 3 new class 10 cards. :)