Secure Boot

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by IkerBA, Jun 28, 2018.

1. IkerBA

IkerBA New Member

Hi,
    I want to use this feature but pretty lost since BIOS leaves me very little interaction around this.
    Guess you have some tutorial or guidelines for me to attend to when working with Ubuntu 18.04.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. IkerBA

IkerBA New Member

Yes, I have.
    I was expecting some uDoo x86 more specific guide or step-by-step procedure depending BIOS choices.
    This is quite a complicated and dense procedure with lot of concepts to understand so I was wishing for a uDoo oriented example I can follow to understand the whole.

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Secure Boot works best with hardware TPM (in which UDOO x86 does not have such chip.)
    There is a fTPM (firmware based TPM) which I am 80% sure than UDOO's UEFI/BIOS does not have.

5. IkerBA

IkerBA New Member

I'm confused here. Does this mean SecureBoot doesn't work or it is not reliable on uDoo x86?

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Please read the underlying principle:
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-d...ule-given-that-both-involves-Trusted-Hardware

The goal for S.B. is to have a secured hardware to ensure from t = 0 and on, the platform is trustworthy.
    TPM plays an integral part of that. There is a flavor call fTPM which is TPMless (done inside ATOM SoC's internal coprocessor.)
    I know UDOO x86 does not have the TPM chip. Not sure fTPM and needs UEFI BIOS is implemented or not (or even supported in the first place.)

P.S. you have to rationalize why on this tiny UDOO x86 you need secure boot in the first place. After all, the ATOM family is the lowest tier "client" processor product line. For ultra secure or what?

7. IkerBA

IkerBA New Member

Thanks for your indications.
    Just trying to get the most from the device, and make it the safest posible using all resources provided.