Setting up SATA HDD with udoo

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bynarie, Jun 20, 2014.

1. bynarie

bynarie New Member

OK. I have managed to get a working sata drive that actually turns on now and is recognized with command "sata part". This is exactly what I did. I got a sata to usb adapter, partitioned the drive as ext3, loaded it up under linux, tar-xvzf debian-image.tar.gz to extract to drive, followed the procedure exactly as described on the elinux.org/udoo booting from sata entry. When i boot up and look at boot process under PuTTY, these are the errors im getting -

Booting from SATA...
    ** invalid partition 1 ** -- maybe only ext2 supported??
    Wrong image Format for bootm command
    ERROR: can't get kernel image!

Also, when typing in the setenv variables before booting, the command

"setenv sataargs setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} root=${sataroot} ${hdmi_patch} fbmem=24M video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,bpp=32"

returns with setenv not a valid command or something like that. But only when typing that line in.

There is just not enough documentation on this topic, and most things i have done have figured out on my own discoveries. But now I am at a standstill and do not have a clue where to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

I should be :-

setenv sataargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} root=${sataroot} ${hdmi_patch} fbmem=24M video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,bpp=32'

HINT setenv sataargs 'setenv ???' is not the same as "setenv sataargs setenv ???"
    single and double quotes and no quotes have there meaning and are different.

3. bynarie

bynarie New Member

ok thank you much... do you know about the other error messages at all? Did my method of putting the image on the disk sound correct and that I just need to make it a ext2 partition? thanks

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

Copy and paste each line one by one !!!

Code:
    setenv sataroot "/dev/sda1"

setenv satadev 0

setenv satapart 1

setenv loaduimagesata 'ext2load sata ${satadev}:${satapart} ${loadaddr} ${uimage}'

setenv sataargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} root=${sataroot} ${hdmi_patch} fbmem=24M video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,bpp=32'

setenv sataboot 'echo Booting from sata ...; run sataargs ; bootm'

setenv bootcmd 'sata dev ${satadev}; run loaduimagesata; run sataboot;'

saveenv

reset