Setting up UDOO as WiFi AP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfey, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jfey

jfey New Member

Just got the UDOO starterkit.

has anyone managed to configure the WLAN as an Access Point?

cheers

Juergen

2. pashford

pashford New Member

Yes, I have got this to work fine. I used apt-get to install hostapd, isc-dhcp-server, and bind9 Once I got all the config set up ,I was able to create a wifi network transmitting from the udoo. There are lots of other tutorials about how to set those three programs up for ubuntu. I set up a typical LAMP stack and then I was able to control the arduino via either a php web page served from apache, or using flash as the interface and using amfphp to connect to the server. You can then use either a php or python daemon to send and receive the serial data from ubuntu to arduino and vice versa. When I am within about 10 feet (3m) of the udoo, my android phone automatically connects to the network and I can execute any command from my interface. The wifi connection is pretty slow, so if you have a large or complicated GUI I would suggest writing your interface as an android or AIR app so it doesn't need to load the whole thing each time you want to connect. I do not have my udoo connected to the internet in this configuration, because my udoo is (gasp!) embedded in my chicken coop where it looks after all of their needs. It connects wirelessly through a radio mesh network across my property back to another udoo I have connected in my house, so I can control everything from a much longer distance than the tiny wifi signal that the udoo puts out would allow.