Sharing Files between Ubuntu and Windows via /boot Directory?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Matt_Neo, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Matt_Neo

Matt_Neo UDOOer

Hi,

As a convenient way to share files between Neo Ubuntu and a USB connected Windows machine I'm wondering if the following is acceptable (won't cause any problems):

I'm developing C++ code on the Neo (Ubuntu), using the USB connection and VNC Viewer to my Windows machine. But now that I've made progress I want to make backup copies of the code files I've written (and save them to my Windows PC), and wishing there was a way to directly copy files between them (since they're already connected!).

Came up with this idea: In Linux, copy the desired files into a new directory I'll create in /boot. Not to change the boot behaviour at all, but because this directory is also visible when the Neo gets connected by USB to the Windows machine. So that would be a super convenient way to share files back and forth because both systems have visibility to that part of the SD card.

HOWEVER... I'm not knowledgeable about 'deep booting stuff' or Linux etc (hardware engineer, please don't hate me ;) ) and so asking the community:
    1 - Is there a better way to share files between the Neo Linux and a connected Windows machine?
    2 - Or if not, can I create a new directory in the SD card /boot without causing any problems for my Neo/Ubuntu etc? (defs don't want any risk to destabilize things etc)

If there isn't a better way to do this - that would be a definite suggestion for future functionality to Udoo team.

If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated!!

huthamcau likes this.
  2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You could try to usesomething like https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/ and use the ssh and a SFTP browser connection method.
    I never used the Neo USB connection method as I used the ethernet LAN cable and connected it to my router. I used a shared drive on my NAS to share data between my windows PC and the Neo.
    I think it also could be possible to do so if you create a shared drive on your PC and connect to that shared drive from the File browser on the Neo.

huthamcau likes this.
  3. Matt_Neo

Matt_Neo UDOOer

Thanks, Walter. I'll give that a try.

Since it's a potential zero effort (efficiency, not laziness ;) ) solution though... do you know if it will cause any problems if we create a new folder in the Neo SD card /boot directory? I'm tempted to just try it but hoping for the thoughts of an experienced Linux person first.

huthamcau likes this.
  4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I have no idea what the impact is of creating an folder on /boot. But it is as less effort as creating a shared drive on Windows :)

huthamcau and evaloverde like this.
  5. Matt_Neo

Matt_Neo UDOOer

Do you need Ethernet for that to work? My Neo is an Extended, not Full.

huthamcau likes this.
  6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You need a network connection and that is just what this special USB direct methed is setting up. So you should be able to access your PC from the Neo. The only problem is to get the IP address of your PC seen from the Neo.

7. Matt_Neo

Matt_Neo UDOOer

Hey Walter, thanks for your help.

Is there any documentation on how to do this? I googled general approaches to sharing between Ubuntu and Windows and they're certainly nowhere near as simple as creating a folder. But I assume you're talking about something Udoo/Neo specific? Getting my IP details is no problem, but I have no idea how/where to initiate this connection (or access the interface to it if the connection is the USB connection that already exists)
    ??

huthamcau likes this.
  8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

9. ctassell

ctassell UDOOer

Are you using a terminal program to access the Udoo from Windows? IE HyperTerminal or the like? If so you could go old-school and use XModem/ZModem or something like that to do the file transfers. But copying files to the /boot dir won't cause issues as long as you don't overwrite any of the files already supplied. Make a dir /boot/share and copy stuff into there and you will be fine.

huthamcau likes this.
  10. Matt_Neo

Matt_Neo UDOOer

ctassell - thank you so much!! Knowing that I can add files to the boot sector without breaking things is super helpful - MUCH appreciated! :)

Also thanks very much for your help waltervl - I feel you must be as friendly and helpful (in real life) as your avatar looks - because I see you all over these forums helping people. I did try to follow your advice and sure it would have worked with more persistence but it just seemed like it was going to be too time consuming (with the level of expertise I have) vs some of the other more critical functions I have to implement for my Neo project.

Kind regards,
    Matt