SLOW openGL on UDOObuntu

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by batchku, Jul 18, 2014.

1. batchku

batchku New Member

hello all,
    i've successfully compiled the latest openframeworks 0.8.3 on the latest UDOObuntu image available from udoo.org
    i'm not able to compile all the examples; it took a bit of hacking around that i'm happy to share should someone else be interested.

however, i'm finding that the ofx examples are running VERY SLOW.
    i'm also finding that i have serious refresh/redraw errors in the basic examples, so squiggly scanning lines are visible and such.

as a metric: the 3dprimitives example which draws and rotates a bunch of textured shapes, runs at about 14fps, where as on a raspberry pi easily runs at the software set max of 60fps.

i had to install install libgles2 myself, similarly for freetype and a number of other openframeworks dependencies.
    i'm wondering if my openGL environment is not setup properly and so i haven't hardware acceleration.

my questions are:
    -how can i test to see of hardware accelerated openGL is working on my udoo?
    -what is the proper way to install the proper openGL version on UDOObuntu image?

thanks in advance,

ali

2. badbadc0ffee

badbadc0ffee New Member

Hi!
    has anyone made any progress here? Seems like UDOObuntu doesn't support any graphics hardware acceleration (yet)?
    Which OS image would you suggest to use instead for a quick proof of concept running an HTML5 demo in chromium on the UDOO?
    Thanks,
    Florian.

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

I don't think that this is a trivial issue however you can try to re-link the right OpenGl libraries with running the command:
    Code:
    sudo /opt/gpulink-gl.sh
    To verify that your UDOObuntu has the HW acceleration you need to launch
    Code:
    glxinfo
    and see if you get something like that:

Code:
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL Vendor String: Vivante Corporation
    OpenGL render string: GC2000 Graphic Engine