Slow Performance

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by MendurBerisha, Apr 16, 2016.

1. MendurBerisha

MendurBerisha New Member

Hello, i wanted to ask something.

Why the Udoo Neo Full has a slow performance?
    for example when i click to Mozilla Firefox to open it, it takes about 10 sec to start.

Can this be fixed in the near future of new builds of UDOObuntu?

2. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Don't know if it is slow for such programs. How does it compare to remote desktop to a RaspPi?

3. MendurBerisha

MendurBerisha New Member

This Udoo Neo Full is the first single board i bought, but i'm disappointed of the performance.

4. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Well, you can't use it as a desktop replacement, if that is what you were looking for, it has a single core ARM 32 bits processor, which is no match for modern days multicore 64 bits desktop systems.

MendurBerisha likes this.
  5. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

6. paulbearne

paulbearne New Member

The Neo performance is fairly good in comparison with other equally equipped boards on the linux side it is slightly faster than my Pi B , Beaglebone. but slower than my Edison (dual intel atom +quark no graphics ) and Pi 3 The advantage of the M4 for IO intensive applications which is much faster than the Edisons Quark but slower than my nxp lpc m4 and stm32
    As a desktop pc as mentioned not designed for so performance not good but as an alrounder for IOT it does the job.

delba and Francesco like this.
  7. Kenneth Coley

Kenneth Coley New Member

I have many of these ARM boards (some from various Kickstarter projects). This one goes 99% CPU usage trying to run a video on youtube.
    Is there anyone working on GPU improvements. Why have an HDMI port if video performace sucks? If I wanted a board to just crunch data, there are many that are cheaper.

I am hoping that my UDOO x86 turns out to be much better, but then again, its a lot more money.

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

UDOO NEO is not meant to be used to watch videos. The HDMI port is there to give you the possibility to use it as a computer with an output on a monitor, but like a Raspberry Pi, would be pretentious to take UDOO NEO as a Desktop PC replacement.
    UDOO X86 instead is a good PC Replacement, as you've said.

9. Kenneth Coley

Kenneth Coley New Member

Actually, the RPI 3 is pretty responsive and useful with the HDMI interface. And as being mentioned above, it is being sold as a thin client by some companies. I wasn't intending to use the Neo as a video player, but was just saying that the CPU gets easily swamped by a browser window and a youtube video. Any plans to port a RTOS (a more streamlined OS) to Neo. Also, where can I find good documentation on the commuications path between the main processor and the M0 Arduino processor. I am still interested in making an IoT gateway out of it by putting Zwave on the Arduino and WiFi/Ethernet on the main processor along with all the translation code.

10. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

There is Yocto http://www.udoo.org/forum/index.php?threads/2965/ and also a minimal (gui-less) Udoobuntu 2 image if you want to fiddle around yourself. If you want a better performance you could also buy a Udoo dual or quad. Neo's graphics is not optimized enough to do these kind of tasks. But for IoT graphics should not be necessary.

I Hate Google! likes this.
  11. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

The NEO does have a decent 2D/3D graphics engines because it can support 720p @30fps the problem stems from the fact that the X11 stack (in its current implementation) isn't suitable for X11 graphics/desktop application, to a large extent this is also true for the dual/quad.

12. Berk

Berk New Member

I would wondered this problem. As I am concerned, this problem is about the processor. Altough, it has the slow performance, it can do a lots of thing.