[solved]no serial devices found for "/dev/tty[ASU]*"

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by alexandros301, Mar 30, 2014.

1. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

I'm trying to set a serial communication between Arduino and Pure Data (installed in Udoo). I first run
    Code:
    sudo stty -F /dev/ttymxc3 cs8 115200 ignbrk -brkint -icrnl -imaxbel -opost -onlcr -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke noflsh -ixon -crtscts
    taken from Udoo's tutorials and then I start Pd, but as soon as I create a [comport] object, I get this in Pd' console
    Code:
    [comport] no serial devices found for "/dev/tty[ASU]*"
    [comport] ** WARNING ** port #0 does not exist! (max == -1)
    and if I send the message "devices" to [comport], which is supposed to print to the console all available serial devices, I get this
    Code:
    [comport]: available serial ports:
    I've written a sketch to the Arduino controller with a 115200 baud rate, but even if the baud rate was different, the device should show up in the console, as the "devices" message doesn't start serial communication, but only prints out the available devices.
    Any ideas?

2. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Re: no serial devices found for "/dev/tty[ASU]*"

I get the same error with the devices message command. Still able to open the /dev/ttymxc3 port and send/receive data from the Arduino. Also was able to open Network Connection between PC and UDOO (Local Lan) and pass data to Arduino. Surprised how easy it was to setup the Link.

Functional Devices command would be nice but it doesn't stop us from using PD. It would be real nice to see the Extended version compiled for UDOO.

3. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

You mean send/receive data between Arduino and Pd? How do you achieve that? I get a message saying that maximum available serial ports == -1. Can I use this as an argument? e.g. [comport -1 115200]...it looks a bit awkward..

4. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

I get the same error message whenever loading the program but the port still opens and functions.

Error message: [comport]**WARNING** port #96 does not exist! (max == -1)
    [comport] opening serial port 96 failed!

The simple test program that I wrote just contains "comport 96" in the comport object. Attached to this object is a message object with text "devicename /dev/ttymxc3". Remove quotes for program. Attached to this object is a Bang button to trigger the open serial port.

Hit the Bang button and the following text is displayed in the PD terminal window.

[comport] opened serial line device 9999 (/dev/ttymxc3)

The port does open and I can now send data to the Arduino with print message boxes connected to the comport object.

I tried to attach the test program but the forum would not allow PD extension file types. What file types are allowed on the forum? Perhaps I should read the forum rules before asking that question eh?

5. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Rather than upload my test program try downloading the Smart Theremin project. Take a look at the PD code for turning on the Theremin Sensor which opens and closes the Comport. Warning message will appear in the PD terminal window but the program functions okay.

https://github.com/UDOOProjects/Smart-Theremin

6. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

That's super! It works. And if you wanna get another baud rate than the default one, you just create an object like [comport 0 115200], Pd will complain about not having such a serial port, and then you do what you mentioned. Concerning uploading patches, consider writing them in ASCII. For example my patch is now like this:

[devicename /dev/ttymxc3( <-- this is a message
    |
    | [0 \ <-- this is a number
    |/
    [[comport 0 115200] <-- this is an object

This is how we write small patches on the Pd forum. BTW, you don't even need to send the message [open 9999(, the port opens with [devicename /dev/ttymxc3(

Thanks

7. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Was wondering about that [open 9999( it didn't seem to make sense. Will use [open( from now on.

The ASCII method of uploading a small patch is great. Never used PD until I spent the last week playing with the Theremin program. In fact didn't seem to get much else done except play with PD and sending the Theremin sensor data to another PC on the lan. Then watch the Slider go up and down as I played with the Theremin. Simple things for simple minds I guess.