Status of Bluetooth and Android 6/Marshmallow

Discussion in 'Android' started by frudman, Sep 14, 2016.

1. frudman

frudman Member

What's the status of Bluetooth running on Marshmallow (Android 6.0.1)?

I saw that on initial release bluetooth (& camera) were not supported. Later I saw (somewhere on these forums) that some folks were working with bluetooth devices (didn't flag it so I forget where). Is that correct?

I'm currently using image version beta-4 and, at least for me, bluetooth is not working. It starts well enough, even recognizes a [verbatim] keyboard, displays the 'type these chars' pairing dialog (e.g. 'Pair with Verbatim Keyboard'), but then dies fairly quickly after that with a basic 'Unfortunately, Bluetooth Share has stopped' dialog (and single 'OK' button).

Is this expected? If so, what's an general ETA for a working bluetooth stack?

FYI: I'm using the QUAD board with the same [original] bluetooth dongle from Udoo. This setup is working well for us with the previous version of Android on Udoo (KitKat 4.4) after the last update (Jan 2015 I think) fixing the-then bluetooth problems on 4.4.

Freddy.

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there @frudman,
    there''s no ETA. At the moment BT works bad, meaning that it works but some important stuff, such as audio streaming, doesn't work.

3. frudman

frudman Member

I'm sorry to hear that. We really need bluetooth for our keyboards. Please keep us in mind when you do start working on this. We'll be happy to help you with alphas/betas of your updated android images (i.e. test them out).
    Freddy.

ps: I notice that you folks are going to be at the Amherst "hackaton" (UMass) on October 7-9 (in a few weeks). Are you (or anyone from your team) going to be there? If so, I'll stop by and say hello (that's about an hour from our office, pretty close). :)

ps2: we've been using beta-4 for a few weeks now and are very happy with it so far :). The parts we're using (sans bluetooth) are very stable and performance seems much better than it was on KitKat/4.4 (maybe because it's using art vs dalvik?). Just thought you should know.

ps3: also wanted to add that WiFi seems more robust on 6/Marshmallow as well than it was on 4.4/KitKat.

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member