UART ports not working after driver install (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by David Schurman, Jul 15, 2018.

1. David Schurman

David Schurman New Member

I am trying to use the physical UART pins on an Udoo x86 running Windows 10, but they are not working even after following the driver install instructions to the letter. The two UARTS are even showing up as COM1 and COM2 in the device manager, but when I try to open a serial monitor for either, I get a "cannot configure port message."

Has anyone successfully gotten UART pins to work with Windows 10?

2. barada

barada New Member

same problem with Windows 10

3. steven wilson

steven wilson New Member

Me three - though I don't even see the two UARTs showing up. I've made sure they are enabled in the Boot, and I have TRIED to install the drivers. Never found the .inf files? There is an installer that looks like it works for UART, I2C, and one other... so I'm confused.

I DO have one unknown device ACPI\CEC00001\1? This isn't the Uarts though.

Any ideas folks??

Steve Wilson

4. PaulBolt0

PaulBolt0 UDOOer

5. avignani

avignani New Member

same problem here with Windows 10 and Udoo X86 II Advanced.
    The UART drivers are apparently installed and working, but TeraTerm is totally silent and Putty refuses to open COM1/2 ('cannot open' or 'cannot configure').
    It's not the hardware or the BIOS - everything works well in linux. So it must be a driver problem in Windows.
    I tried with several IO driver sets before noticing that I had also to install UDOOX86_HS_UART_Driver_Rev_1.1.zip. This finally made COM1 and COM2 appear in Device Manager; unfortunately, not working.
    The only oddity I notice in Device Manager is that the DMA channels say 'No driver is installed', but trying to Update says that the best driver is already installed.
    Alberto

6. avignani

avignani New Member

Concerning virtual COM ports and terminals I found this in the documentation of the SECO driver:

Virtual COMs are not fully compatible with legacy COM have some known limitations:
    • Realterm and any terminal that use registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM
    for serial port enumeration doesn't find Virtual COM
    • Teraterm terminal can transmit but doesn't receive bytes

This explains why teraterm is silent. As for the other terminals, the ones I tried (MobaXterm, Putty and many more) all fail opening the COM port.

I also tried setting the serial ports to PCI instead of ACPI in the BIOS - but it seems that a Windows 10 driver for them is nowhere to be found (unlike Windows 7).
    Alberto

7. Priestar

Priestar UDOOer

Awesome and interesting article. Great things you’ve always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post.