UDOO as a Proxy Server & LAMP & Home automation

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by scanlancs, Nov 27, 2013.

1. scanlancs

scanlancs New Member

Hi i am a noob, and was looking for some advice.

I would like to use the UDOO dual as a proxy server as well as running the LAMP services short term and them later upgrade to the UDOO quad as I believe it would be better suited.

Can I use a USB 2 drive for the cache as it is still faster than my internet speed 25Mbits down 5Mbits up.

As well as having the micro controller sending information to the web server.

I live Off Grid on solar power with lead acid batteries and would like to use the dual in the power shed giving me real time feed back on my power management system and have the quad in the house running LAMP and Squid with home automation stuff.

So far on the micro controller side I have worked out how to read AC, DC voltages as well as amps, temp and other sensors. Now just have to work out how to move the information from the micro controller to the web server.

The fact that i live Off Grid on solar power and the low power use of the UDOO's makes it the perfect solution to my needs.

This is just a rough idea of what I would like to do.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris Scanlan

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Hi Chris, sounds an interesting project.

You mention SQUID, which is/can be a caching proxy server. The 1GB RAM all UDOO's have I think you will find is plenty. Steer clear of USB for cache/temp space I'd say.

You always have the option of putting a cheap SSD on the SATA.