Udoo Bolt Fan Replacement

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Andy Carlson, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson New Member

All,

I am going to add a fan on the outside of the Udoo Bolt case, unless I can find a suitable internal replacement fan. My thought was to blow air in from outside, and remove the inner fan so the air hits the heatsink. Has anyone else done this? Will it run correctly without the internal fan hooked up? Thanks for any information you can provide.

2. nophead

nophead UDOOer

The internal fan blades would spin if you blow air over them. It would be better to replace it with an open duct. It could be made from the outside of an old fan with hub, spokes and blades removed.

3. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson New Member

I got my fan. I removed the internal fan, put the 5V USB fan on top, and let her rip. The temps are down. The noise is down to almost nothing. Best thing I ever did. I was worried that it wasn't going to run without the internal fan plugged in. In fact, on that first boot, it must have taken 5 minutes to boot. I was about ready to put the fan back in, and it booted. I've booted it twice since then, and it booted fine. Not sure what happened on the first boot.

evaloverde likes this.
  4. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Hey there. Have you installed the newest BIOS update by any chance? Installing it requires some time and some restarts, but there is no visual feedback for users, making it (understandably) a little bit confusing. Hope everything is running smoothly now

5. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson New Member

Hi Eva.

I did install the 1.06rc4 some time ago. It did not help the fan speed. This works for now, and my son printed a fan holder, that once I get it from him, I will glue to the bolt so I can screw the fan to it. Right now, it can move, though for the most part, it doesn't because of where it sits.

6. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Ciao Andy, could you please open a ticke regarding your issue? The tech team will be happy to help you!