Udoo Bolt + Radeon VII + EXP GDC M2 Key A EGPU

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Cristian Iaciu, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Cristian Iaciu

Cristian Iaciu UDOOer

Hello everybody,

I wanted to upgrade the Bolt GPU so I bought a Radeon VII together with a EXP GDC M2 Key A adapter and a power source for the GPU and I am having problems on making it work on the UDOO.

Can you help me with what settings do I have to make in BIOS and in Windows 10 in order to make it work as I disabled it for the moment because it became very frustrating as it worked for a couple of minutes and after that the screen freezes in Windows.

Thank you very much.

Cristian

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

re: it worked for a couple of minutes and after that the screen freezes in Windows

It's a telltale sign of possibly
    (1) PCIe bus issues (speed, termination, reflection, etc.) <-- typically the adapter design issues
    (2) poor power supply arrangement/flaky power source/poor power regulation/insufficient power, etc.

On (1), it is well known. Some chose to use different adapter, some called the vendor o get a "better" one (newer version, shorter cable, proper signal shielding/termination, better signal path equalization.)
    On (2), know your system requirement, check if such requirement is met.
    Both cannot simply explained in few sentences. (If I sound like speaking Greek, sorry about it.)