UDOO Bolt tablet\switch

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Geraldo junior, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Geraldo junior

Geraldo junior New Member

So, I've just learned about the kickstater campaing, and the udoo bolt v8 looks like a dream come true, and fell like gettin one asap, HOWEVER, I don't know jack about single board computers. So, I'm sorry if making too much noob questions, but here it goes:

1. can udoo bolt be turned in a tablet like this or even this ? I've seen many projects with arduino, but udoo's are lacking
      1. Are the battery requirements are too demanding?
      2. Is there a way around making it thinner? the so-dimm could go horizontal with cable extensor?

my goal would be to make it like a nintendo switch, I would take it around as a tablet, and play it using third party controllers like the steam controller or those cellphone Ipegas, than, when coming home I would place it on a custom dock, that would ideally have an gtx 1060 e-gpu, and a complementarey cooling system to allow it go max clock speed and play VR. But this project would be WAY too advanced to my current knowledge o pc building(basic), 3d printing(none) and single board computers (zero).

Also, if its possible, where do I start learning the stuff I nedd to build it?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The CPU needs a cooler so that will be a height challenge, next to the so-dimm height.

3. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

the max one can shave off of the standard height would be around: 16mm by reducing heatsink height, and going for vlp sodimm modules, sadly these are meant for enterprises and have a minimum order quantity of usually > 100 per order.

4. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

okay, so i just sent an enquiry to a dealer if they are willing to send me 6 pieces of 8gb vlp ddr4 sodimm (paid of course).

let's hope for the best. :)

5. Geraldo junior

6. Geraldo junior

I wish I could basicly strap a battery a 7" touch screen to that standard case they're selling.

7. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

my last answer wasn't good enough in my opinion, so to answer it per question:
    1: a 10" tablet is possible.with lots of hacking skills, will explain why below, smaller won't work because of the 19V voltage and the lipo cells needed to reach that goal

2: define demanding battery? i know the smach z uses a custom design based on the same APU to achieve the goal. and has 2 18650 cells from what i can see. for a larger screen (the 10" pi screen) i would recommend at least 8 of those cells with thicker cabling, 4 cells in series x2 so you won't have to boost the voltage alot to match the udoo's 19V. i just hope the udoo bolt accepts a 12 or 5V input to power it instead of the 19v only. you need also space for those lipo cells in your case, which means: 10inch display MINIMUM, unless you want a thick (3" or more) 8" tablet, but at that rate you'd be better off going for a switch tbh.

3: hmm, yes, ddr4 vlp sodimms, low profile heatsink (ebay can be of help?) and a blower style cooler, this can save quite some height, it is possible the make the whole unit just around 30mm high encl screen height.

4: your goal is possible a bit too high demanding for your skills, as i'll state in nr 5

5: seems you're indeed new to this kind of topic of hardware hacking. i know there's people who did mod the WII U, a good starting point to get your feet wet in this kind of topic is to look at hackaday. or hackster, maybe even this diy mini laptop video can be of help to understand some basics?

to give my opinion: the udoo bolt is more screaming for people to put it in a nintendo WII case or design a ardace cabinet / rugged laptop than make a larger nintendo switch alternative out of it.

i hope this cleared some things up and helped you somewhat.

8. Geraldo junior

Yeah, like you said, way above my current skill, but thanks for the info, I'll try my hand at smaller projects, or maybe buy it as a cheap gaming pc

9. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

mhm, it's very usefull for a mini, relative cheap and power efficient game pc.