Udoo Bolt v8 CPU idling at 60 celsius

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Sean_mclean, Dec 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Sean_mclean

Sean_mclean New Member

Essentially the issue is described in the title. Tried clean Installs of both windows and Ubuntu and checked CPU temp on both and the CPU never goes below around 58 celsius, which I assume is not normal? The fan goes on and off and on and off with the computer not doing anything at all and CPU usage at 2%

2. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

At the balanced power plan in Windows it might be around there if your room is relatively warm. Also check if the heatsink is sitting correctly on the processor and that the termal paste (or pad) is not bad.
    My self to actually stop the fan going on and off at night am putting the Windows powerplan on a modified powersave mode which stops it, though at summer it does turns back on for a moment now and then when it does things like email even on powersave.
    I am looking to add a passive heatsink to it to make it not even needing a fan though must be big enough to dissipate the heat by it self.

3. Sean_mclean

Sean_mclean New Member

Thanks for the reply. Based on your advice, I took the heatsink and fan off. Purchased more thermal paste, removed the old paste and applied more. The issue remains unfortunately. Temp at 70 Celsius running YouTube on a browser, CPU at 6%

4. Sean_mclean

Sean_mclean New Member

And to your room temperature point. It's cold here. The coldest it can get. So it will only get hotter when summer comes. Really can't be bothered to send it back. Might purchase another board that isn't udoo. By the way the heatsink was not easy to remove. Ended up breaking one of the screws

5. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

As I said, looking my self for a way to passively cool it for silent operation, looking for some massive heatsinks with the fins to be vertical for even more passive airflow. Only problem is I can not machine the mounting bracket for the FP5 socket so just looking around now with the noisy fan working non stop.

6. Sean_mclean

Sean_mclean New Member

I bought a 3 pin gelid silent 6 but I don't know how to fit it. The fan size is identical. It has three wires the same as the default fan but the plug isn't the same. I see people claiming to have fitted this fan but no one mentions how they did it if the plug isn't the same. Would you happen to know?

7. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

Most likely they salvaged the plug from the original fan or an order. You can order a new plug, a post in this forum has more details but if I recall correctly it was a JST 1.25 3pin and AliExpress has many cheap ones (as I ordered for my self from there) though please check the forum to make sure I am not mistaken on the type.