UDOO camera [Official Discussion]

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by andcmp, Nov 13, 2013.

1. dantavious

dantavious New Member

Thanks a lot for the pic, it really helped me with the connection. I am still having problems using the hardware though. When I attempt to use
    vlc v4l2:///dev/video0, I get the error "xcb_xv vout display error: no available XVideo adaptor."
    Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks in advance.

2. lndr

lndr New Member

I had the same problem! I fixed it changing the Video Output in VLC menu "Tool > Preferences" from "Default" to "X11 Video output".

3. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Hello delba,

Many thanks for the very high-res photographs of the camera connectors. They confirm that I was attempting to connect my camera cable correctly. Unfortunately, the connector on the Udoo Quad board just doesn't cinch down tightly enough to securely hold the ribbon cable. I'm going to try shimming the cable with a piece of clear tape to increase its thickness in the hope that that will provide a secure connection. I'd prefer not to have to return my Udoo Quad for service, and be without it for an extended period, as I'm really enjoying working with it.

Are you able to recommend any software packages that run on the command line, not under X, for capturing still and video images. I use 'fbv' for viewing .JPG files under Arch Linux Arm.

I'm also attempting to compile 'gqrx' http://gqrx.dk/ for Arch Linux ARM. This program, along with a $10.00 USB RTL stick http://www.ebay.com/itm/140978041259 will implement a Software Defined Radio (SDR) receiver capable of tuning and displaying the spectrum from 24MHz to 1.7GHz, and permit operation over a network. This is my first attempt at compiling from sources. Wish me luck....

Thank you for your support. Much appreciated.

Best regards,
    Larry
    Larry@kj6yvt.com

4. dantavious

dantavious New Member

Thanks so much, that did the work. I was going crazy. On another note, is there away to extend the cable?

5. francescog

francescog New Member

Hello guys,
    my research group is starting implementing realtime computer vision algorithms using the lovely power of UDOO. But there's an issue for us: so far, I see no possibility to connect my Raspberry Pi IR camera to UDOO. Actually I was giving that option as a default way to go in my mind, but ok.

Do you have *any* kind of suggestion about the possibility to connect this camera (http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5128) directly to the UDOO board? An adaptor, a way to hack it, anything...

As soon as I'll receive the UDOO camera I'm thinking also just to grab out the CMOS from UDOO Camera and try to replace it with the IR CMOS from the Raspberry Pi noIR camera... do you think this can make any sense?

6. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

7. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Hello francescog,

Here is a video here http://rlab.org.uk/wiki/Remove_IR_filter_from_Raspberry_Pi_Camera showing how to remove the IR filter from the RPi camera. Perhaps you might do something similar with the Udoo camera, or you may find suitable camera hardware here: http://www.uctronics.com/camera-module-c-377.html.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with camera interface standards, however there appears to be good information here http://www.mipi.org/specifications/camera-interface. Apparently the RPi cameras have a CSi interface. You'll find some information on the Udoo camera interface on page twelve of the schematic http://udoo.org/download/files/schematics/UDOO_REV_D_schematics.pdf. I don't know if it uses the same interface standard as the RPi cameras.

Please tell us more about your vision project, and post any information you may learn on this subject.

Best regards,
    Larry

8. francescog

francescog New Member

Hi Larry,
    thank you for your reply! What you suggest is related to the 'hard way' I also mentioned somehow in my post.. that is a real option indeed, and it seems not so 'hard' after all; the removal of IR filter has also been considered as we could have the proper tools in our lab, but I would prefer not to get into that as first option.. :) Buying another cmos sensor seems a 'softer' solution indeed (thanks for the uctronics link, very useful!) but actually I was hoping there was some kind of 'well known' adaptor for the two different cables as maybe the one used for UDOO Camera could be also just the miniature version of the RasPi one, but I can't find specific documentation about the UDOO camera yet, and I hope some admin can help about this. Can't find a direct email contact to the developers team as well.

But, ok, in the meantime thanks and I'll keep you guys posted if I have any news.. Unfortunately it is premature to share many details about the CV project itself, anyway it's about implementing (in real time) novel techniques for multi-recognition and tracking in computer vision in natural light conditions :)

9. Shack

Shack New Member

did any of you guys had luck using the cam with C++ Opencv? with the raspberry pi you need some library of some sort to make it work... will the udoo team come out with a similar one?

10. Azure

Azure New Member

Hello guys!
    My Camera can't work on unbutu.
    Can you help me QQ

11. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Do you have a UDOO Quad or Dual?

12. nickbit

nickbit New Member

Hi guys!
    I've installed the last Android 1.4 on my UDOO dual.
    The camera works great on the standard app, but it doesn't work on others apps.
    e.g. zxing app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nt.android) generates an exeption :-(

java.io.IOException
    CameraManager.openDriver(CameraManager.java:154)
    CaptureActivity.initCamera(CaptureActivity.java:168)
    CaptureActivity.surfaceCreated(CaptureActivity.java:115)

Please help me!

13. nickbit

nickbit New Member

14. giusans

giusans New Member

hello,
    how can I make it work with OpenCV
    I refer to :
    cameraCapture = cv2.VideoCapture(.?.)

thank you very much

15. delba

16. Groaker

Groaker New Member

I too am most interested in a NoIR version, as I would like to use UDOOs for studies of parasomnias -- abnormal sleep behaviors, which are done under 850nm lighting which is not visible to humans. Should it not be possible to obtain an OEM version without the IR filter, what is the likelihood of an easy removal of the IR filter? I have tried the Raspberry, but it does not have the computational or transmission power required to handle the matrices generated in near real time. The UDOO I have looks good in this respect, even if an accessory is required to hit near gigabit Ethernet speeds.

TIA

17. prototyping

prototyping New Member

Hello UDOOers,

I am using the Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 image on a UDOO quad + camera module.

First question is: the camera has a 5MP sensor (according to the specs on the UDOO website), so how can I grab a frame at its full resolution?
    I only managed to get images up to 1920x1080.

Second question is: which is the quickest way to get a single frame from the camera saved into a JPG (or PNG...) file?
    I am playing around with the suggested gstreamer approach, but looks like there it takes quite a bit of time (more than 2 seconds) to get a 1920x1080 image. This is what I am experimenting with:

gst-launch-0.10 -v mfw_v4lsrc capture_mode=5 ! jpegenc ! filesink location="out.jpg"

I tried also to use the python opencv bindings, but I got the following errors:
    >>> import cv2
    >>> c = cv2.VideoCapture(0)
    HIGHGUI ERROR: libv4l unable to ioctl S_FMT
    HIGHGUI ERROR: libv4l unable to ioctl VIDIOCSPICT

Am I missing something?

I am aware of the upcoming UDOObuntu image, will that help on this matter?

Many thanks!!

18. holly

holly New Member

Quick question: what is the FoV or viewing angle for the camera?
    Thanks,
    Maya

19. delba

20. reinhard31

reinhard31 New Member

Hi, All
    Udoo camera has camera mirror issue with android.
    i didnt try with ubuntu yet.
    How can i fix it?