Udoo candidate for SLAM project

Discussion in 'Automation, Motors & Robotics' started by AWMR, Sep 23, 2014.

1. AWMR

AWMR New Member

I am not an engineer but a programmer. My interest is working from the bottom up in developing an autonomous wheeled mobile robot (AWMR).

Working from the bottom up is based on some first decision(s) whether a SBC like the Udoo Quad can handle the interfacing with other hardware like Phidgets components or similar hardware that can control DC motors with encoders and interface with something like 1047_1 - PhidgetEncoder HighSpeed 4-Input. Brian Burley of Phidget said if this board (Udoo Quad) has a USB host controller then it'll likely be able to control Phidgets.

From what I have seen here, there is not much on robotics here at Udoo. I have a simple request for the Udoo people if they would try interfacing their Udoo Quad with the 1047_1 - PhidgetEncoder HighSpeed 4-Input that would show their SBC can operate 4 DC motors with encoders like the Cytron motors.

I want to have the mobility like the following robot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxaSe6RJQvY) but I need the PhidgetEncoder board to interface with Udoo to have control. I am not sure the robot demo uses the PhidgetEncoder but I need it to further expand the project in order to study SLAM.

Thus the Udoo board and Phidget components is a beginning to a low cost mobile robot project.

Thanks
    AWMR

2. AWMR

AWMR New Member

3. rob.step1

rob.step1 New Member

I need to read quad encoders on a mill machine. will this board do an in real time? Im trying to decide wither to use this board or beagle board black. any I deals.