Udoo Powered Robot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaeg, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

Think I figured out both sides of the serial UART comm now. Sorry so green. Does anyone know the full list of libraries for such serial monitoring already installed in the present UDOO Linaro 11 build? And is there anything like this in the present UDOO Android build?

2. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

3. jaeg

jaeg Member

I'm going to post this here as well:

Give this tutorial a go: https://salilkapur.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/communicating-with-arduino-using-c/

From what I've read Linux treats peripherals like this as files. You can open up the device in C/C++ and read each individual line of serial data coming in.

I've also had success using the program minicom to communicate with the Arduino as well (but ironically the Arduino IDE serial monitor does not work)

4. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

An excellent reference. Thank you.

5. jaeg

jaeg Member

Did some hardware interfacing tests the other day. I plugged in an Arduino brand motor shield and gave the shield it's alternative power. Well it seems that the shield will try to power the board from it's alternate supply which scared me so I didn't let it try to boot (if it even would). It also seems the shield will power the motors from the board supply if there is no alternate power and when the Due resets it makes both motor out puts go full speed forward. These two combined almost burnt out my motors. This can also be encountered when the Due is reset during programming. I'm going to try out some other motor controllers to see if there are similar issues.

I might be able to slightly ground the motor inputs so when the Due resets it won't default to full speed forward.