UDOO Rev. E

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andcmp, Nov 20, 2013.

1. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Dear moderators,

the UDOO Rev. E is currently under development and we would like to know your suggestions and thoughts about how, in your opinion, we can improve the board.

For example:
    - Add HDMI CEC channel support
    - Add an LED to give feedback during the boot process and to give feedback while running
    - ... your call

Please, keep in mind that this is just a minor update/bugfix and not a new product (aka UDOO2), nothing too big will be introduced in this rev.

Off course, keep quite about this.

Thanks!

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

A minor revision but you're open to small hardware tweaks? (you give an example of an additional LED)

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

I know there was some desire to get back the "pin13" led on the arduino side.

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

Oh one other thing, unless I am missing it, pin 1 on the internal USB header port isn't indicated. Would be good to add that to the board.

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

Refresh my memory here guys, wasn't there somebody who was saying there was something wrong with the way the audio ports were hooked up? It was one if the old audio related threads.

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Connectors
    i think the biggest complaint i have seen that could be addressed with minor hardware revisions is related to the connectors. some commonality to the types, less odd types,

Fan connector
    if i had to pick 1, it seems the Fan connector is the worse. it uses a connector not found on any fan, and its pinned-out different than most any fan you would buy. It would be nice to it useable with a commercially available fan

RAM Module
    Im sure you guys have already done what you can do address this but there is an obvious issue with the way the RAM Modules are being installed if they are showing up in a pile in the bottom of the bag (exaggerated for dramatic effect)

WiFi Adapter
    The wifi adapter used seems to have excessive thermal properties that should be looked at, but there are other things we are looking at like power draw and the like to see if thats a contributor, but still worth noting

Thats all off the top of my head, will add if i think of more, besides make too many changes and those with the model D will feel ripped off .

Peanut gallery comments
    I would also like to point out that the rev D hardware is fairly solid, i would hope most of the work is going into software and not into rev. E so soon. Its great to iterate but with hardware turning a revision over soon (<1 Yr), even a minor one can leave a lot of people butthurt. Great to think and start, but its ok to move a bit slow here.

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Yes it was that they were going to Mono vs Stereo, will have to see if we can dig up the thread

Also there was a point regarding the Android OS always claiming the first audio out (HDMI) making it hear impossible to use the audio jack out.. i think this can be handled at a software level, but if not a jumper could also do it

8. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

I would agree with the Pin13 LED, that is a good point..

Also because the thread just re-surfaced, it would be cool to re-look at the pin labels. A community member made a stencil that can be put on the pins to label them. Due to the complexity of the board, having these silkscreened or something similar might make for a very interesting competitive feature. Especially since, at least on the quad, a large number of the pins are impossible to read from the top

9. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I'm holding my powder dry. Will comment in a weeks time with my list.