UDOO x86 input voltage range

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Bullaus, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Bullaus

Bullaus New Member

Hello,
    I'm looking at making a battery pack for the x86, what is the input voltage range for the udoo x86 Ultra?

Thank you.

2. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

Check out this thread we've already discussed this. http://www.udoo.org/forum/index.php?threads/4391/

I've also tried to get a reply from the Udoo team about what kind of battery pack they used for the robot in one of their updates on KS but I've yet to get a reply.

It will be possible to power the Udoo x86 with batteries, but no one except the guys at Udoo knows exactly what specs that's needed

Sent from my Apollo Lite using Tapatalk

3. Bullaus

Bullaus New Member

Thanks, I did see that post but was hoping to get an official response from udoo.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

You mean this update about SORky, do you?
    We did not used a battery pack, instead we used Turtlebot's battery, that exposes 12v.

5. Bullaus

Bullaus New Member

No, I was hoping to build a battery pack for the udoo ultra but I need to know the input range voltage so I know what voltage to make the battery pack. For example, can it handle a voltage input between 11.1v and 14.4v?

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

I believe VIN range is + or -5% of 12V (thanks UDOO Italian Telegram group :D)

Though, I recommend waiting to build the battery pack until the specs are finalised and the datasheet is released, because the board is currently being optimised and could end using a different PMIC.

Bullaus and Andrea Rovai like this.
  7. Andrea Rovai

Thanks Laura!

Laura likes this.
  8. Bullaus

Bullaus New Member

Thanks Laura, I'll take your advice and wait for the datasheet to be released.

Thanks for the reply :)

Laura likes this.
  9. Andrea Rovai

10. Bullaus

Bullaus New Member

Thank you for the reply Andrea. I've seen this document but I can't seem to find any reference to the power requirements, nor anything that references the input voltage range the board can handle.

11. Andrea Rovai

The board needs a 12V 3A power supply (VIN +/-5%), in other words the maximum consumption is 36 W.

12. Bullaus

Bullaus New Member

Thanks Andrea, also would you know what's the power consumption while idle?

13. Andrea Rovai

The power consumption in idle with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit up and running is about 3 W.

14. Krzysztof Piotrowski

Krzysztof Piotrowski New Member

Hi there,

I wonder what is the power chain behind the 12V plug on the board. The components usually need 3.3V or less. 12V is often used for SATA etc. Thus, the 12V has to be regulated down. I do not believe that it is not done by using efficient DC/DC converters. But the question is also if the 12V used on the board is regulated somehow or if it is assumed that the source is +/- 5% accurate.

Batteries do not have constant voltage over the discharge time. And it does not matter if they are rechargable or not. LIon/LiPO batteries start with 4.2V or something and go down to 3.0V (If you discharge the battery below this voltage it may even explode, that is why some batteries come with a monitoring board). LiFe start with about 3.4V and can be discharged down to 2.5V or even deeper - they do not explode, but it reduces their lifetime if you discharge them too deeply.

So, for using batteries you can either use the cells in series to get a voltage higher that 12V in any case (even if batteries get partially discharged) and you regulate down to 12V (e.g. with a step down or buck DC/DC converter). OR you take batteries you like and you pump-up the voltage with a step up or boost DC/DC. There are also converters that work in both modes (step down and step up). The issue with step up is however that if you need 3Amps at 12V then you have to deliver MORE than 9Amps if you have 4V input.

There are many boards that you can get in the Internet that convert the voltage for you, either down or up, to get the 12V. You can choose them, depending on the battery you have or the battery you have to apply due to application requirements.

If the 12V is regulated on board, then the work is already done for you. but if it is not, you probably need some regulation anyway to make use of batteries otherwise you will have issues due to 12V rail outside the allowed range: too high with full batteries and too low with discharged ones.

Please excuse my long elaborate here, but reading your posts I got the impression that you want to connect some batteries directly with the hope that it will simply work. But it is not that simple :) And without having a schematic of the udoo x86 we have to consider it as a black box :)

hope it helped a bit.
    cheers,
    Krzysztof

Anders Käll and milaremi like this.
  15. milaremi

milaremi New Member

Bravo Krzysztof!

Udoo - any on-board voltage regulating? Because I'm sure many of us will be rigging up a battery solution also.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  16. milaremi

milaremi New Member

Nudge on this question, Andrea - Can you let us know if the UdooX86 boards have any on-board voltage regulation so that we can simply plug a 12V battery (unregulated) into it? If not, I'm going to start building a regulated 12VX3A battery system. Please advise - I'd like to use my 3 boards for portable uses. Thanks!

17. Andrea Rovai

Hi there,
    UDOO X86 needs a 12V3A power supply. Vin is +/- 5%.
    The external source of supply must be stable.
    If I haven't been clear, please tell me.

milaremi likes this.
  18. PeterRobinson

PeterRobinson New Member

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has been able to make a battery supply for the udoo? I am also interested in developing a battery for this board.

19. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    milaremi likes this.
  20. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Laura and milaremi like this.