USB-C 12v power delivery usable to power a screen?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by xnopasaranx, Jul 4, 2020.

1. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx New Member

Hello there! First off, I am super excited having purchased this board.
    I bought this because I wanted to get into the self-built laptop/cyberdeck game and will be experimenting with battery solutions to see how far I can get in building my own portable workstation.

Also, I want my new hacking station to include a recycled laptop screen, instead of buying something. I have a couple that I yanked out of dead laptops and since nowadays you can get an aftermarket lcd driver from Shenzhen, I am looking for solutions on how to power a board/screen combo like this.

The screen I have selected can apparently only be driven by two boards that both have a 12V DC input. I was trying to get a controller that could be powered via micro usb, but those are not compatible with the panel.

Can I use the usb-C PD 3.0 with a pd negotiation dongle to provide 12V 3A to my screen reliably?

I tried looking up specs for usb-c pd 3.0 but am a bit uncertain as to what modes the udoo bolt implements.

Has anyone done this with their udoo bolt?

Here are the components in question:
    - LED Panel
    - PD negotiation dongle
    - LCD controller

(Links are to aliexpress, I am not affiliated with any of these sellers, just examples of what I am going to use)

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

What your project looks like you are recycling an old MIPI-DSI LCD panel thru an adapter board to make it as a HDMI monitor.
    In such case, proper matching (LCD to adapter board) cable is required and a DC 12V power is also needed.

Re: using BOLT's USB-C port as power source (thru PD Source mode) to supply 12V power to a device (such as your DIY HDMI monitor)
    Ans: not possible. CN8 is spec'ed as 5V 3A 15W only, while CN9 is just 5V 1A 5W only.
    See https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/some-prelim-v8-v1605b-findings.27176/#post-60119

3. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx New Member

ah dang, thanks for answering. well I guess I'll need another powerbank that can provide power to a second 12v device or hook a stepup converter to my existing powerbanks 5v usb out.