USB not powered

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by kris2lee, May 26, 2014.

1. kris2lee

kris2lee New Member

Hello,

I started to use UDOO in headless mode and did not bother till today to connect any USB device to it.

When I finally did it then it appeared that USB devices do to get power.

I first noticed that connecting an USB device does not come up into list of lsusb. Then I connected a mouse what should light up a LED when connected but it did not light up.

I am powering my board with a 12V 2A power supply.

Any help is appriciated including advice how to proceed if this happens to be a symptom of defective board.

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

I had the same problem.!!!!!

I connected a mouse / keyboard / monitor at first for a few hours then went headless for the next 2 weeks until I wanted to get wifi working, and found that the usb port was now dead.
    I returned it to rapid electronics, and I'm on my second udoo now,

Do you get anything with lsusb?

3. kris2lee

kris2lee New Member

Yes, I see the hubs. 4 items. List does not change when I plug additional device.

How did you contact them to send it back?

4. kris2lee

kris2lee New Member

I tried to contact them via ticket system but have not yet got any reply from them.

5. peter247

peter247 New Member

Good Luck , my support ticket is a month old now without a reply.

6. fetcher

fetcher Member

I think that the UDOO's USB ports are protected by hard fuses that will permanently blow if you try to draw much more than 500mA (unlike, say the Raspberry Pi and most computer motherboards that use self-healing / self-reseting "polyfuses" or transistor-based overcurrent limiting devices). Can anyone confirm? These also look to be tiny surface-mount things, placed in a crowded part of the board that would be challenging to change out. I haven't felt like testing this on mine, but plan to be very careful with them. For anything especially power-hungry, like a bus-powered 2.5" hard drive, it'd be a good idea to place a powered hub in between.

If anyone wants to try bridging already-blown fuses with a blob of solder, or wiring USB ports directly to the +5V supply, the schematic implies that the +5V switchmode regulator will supply only 4A total current, limiting the hazard somewhat in the event an unfused port is shorted out.