Using calloc/malloc or new/delete

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by erpark, Sep 6, 2014.

1. erpark

erpark New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been attempting to port a small application from an Arduino Uno over to the Due integrated into the Udoo and I am having some difficulty solely with allocating dynamic memory blocks.

On the Uno...

#include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <string.h>

unsigned int ** table = NULL;

void setup()
    {
    Serial.begin(9600);
    table = (unsigned int **) calloc(sizeof(unsigned int *), 10);
    delay(5000);
    Serial.println("Table Allocated");
    }

... works fine... the Due however, hangs and I get no output from any of the Serial.print's. I have tried using malloc instead, also I tried the C++, new/delete.

In any case, an attempt to allocate a dynamic block of memory causes a hang and the Due is non-responsive until I comment out the allocation statement and reupload. I have played around with the size, assuming I may have asked for too big a block (ie was asking for 144 * 4 unsigned int's at first), but even modest sizes, 10 x 4 unsigned int's blew up.

I don't, unfortunately have an actual Arduino Due laying about to test the code.

So I am at a loss to explain this. Am I missing something... is there some architectural issue with Due's and calloc/malloc or the avbr-libc???

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Instead of using Malloc/New, if I understand what you're doing, why not just set up an array?

unsigned int table [10];

That will set up an array that will hold 10 unsigned ints... Which seems to be exactly what you're wanting to do...