very basic question about the screen.

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by Robbob, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Robbob

Robbob New Member

hello, I do not quite uderstand the lvds screen stuff. so here is my question:

If I was to buy such a kit:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1287#Technical_Details

do I need the conroler board or do I only need the display with a cable to connect to the lvds port of the udoo?

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Based on the posts in other threads about LVDS, that one probably won't work. The LVDS on the Udoo is single channel and only supports up to 1366x768.

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

The spec sheet says it is a single channel LVDS panel, so that aspect seems ok.

The bundled controller card is a converter controller (LVDS -> other connections) which you don't need if you want to connect directly (IE LVDS) but you could use if you want to connect via another method (such as HDMI) or use off PC's or other Boards... so quite flexible.

In summary, it will certainly work via HDMI and *quite probably* work via LVDS (you'll have to remap the LVDS panel -> board pins of course but both sides are documented so ought to be straight forward).

Note: The HSD101PWW1 panel they use seems to be less than half the price being asked for of that total package price (circa £40/$65) so you need to weight up its value for money.

4. Robbob

Robbob New Member

Thanks. I also did some research and saw the price for just the panel. It is more clear now. I'll keep on looking and waiting for the list of compatible panels.