Wants CPU Information Updating UDOO Ununtu 12.04 OS

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by playinmyblues2, Dec 16, 2013.

1. playinmyblues2

playinmyblues2 New Member

Hi. While using the instructions found on the UDOO website for updating the OS, I get a message saying the it wants the speed of the CPU.

Here is the link on the UDOO site: http://www.udoo.org/update-procedure/

This is the command where it wants more info:
    sudo ./udooupdate.sh

It comes up saying it runs the UDOO Kernel & U-Boot Updater and the Error message is as follows:
    Error: Can't guess the UDOO cpu (use the '-c CPU' option)

I am not familiar enough with Linux to figure out this information and do not know how to specify the information in the command. I am using a UDOO Quad.

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

i haven't seen that, but honestly update was older and doesn't really apply anymore. Its been superseded by new images.
    I would suggest downloaded the latest image and writing it to your SD card (Latest is currently Ubuntu 12.04 )

The Debian beta image is also available amongst others, but the Ubuntu images are all up to date and the most supported.

And doing this you dont need to follow that procedure you noted

Unless you already have tons of customization to your image, this is the easiest way for you to update

3. 8bit

8bit New Member

As your Udoo board is a Quad, here you would type the command "sudo ./udooupdate.sh -c quad"

The -c "switch" tells the shell-script you're about to inform it which CPU type your Udoo has. Following the switch with the word quad tells the script exactly what it needs to know; that your board is a quad.

Essentially, you're saying "Update my Udoo and BTW, I have a Quad CPU".

Without the "-c quad", the shell-script fails because it doesn't know if you have a dual or quad board.

I'm not sure if there's a way scripts like these can identify the CPU-type automatically but I guess there probably is.

With the Raspberry Pi, it's possible to query the system and identify the manufacturer, so it's distinctly possible this script (or similar ones) could query the Udoo board and work out these details for itself.

We're still in the early days of Udoo though, so anything can happen.

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

That update script itself was actually only put together to address a few bugs until the next release was put out.
    As a temp solution I'm sure not much time went into it, and as i noted.. in general, unless you have a specific reason, you dont want to or need to follow that or use that update script anyways, its quite outdated.

Applying the downloaded image to the SD card is the easiest way to get to the latest version.