Web Based Interfaces / Browser Hardware Acceleration

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by Diego ZoracKy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Diego ZoracKy

Diego ZoracKy New Member

My question is about Performance and Hardware Aceleration on browser running on Udoobuntu. I'm asking this because i want to know if the development of web based interfaces (JS, html, css) running on browser can be considered as an option and how far we can go with it.

I saw some videos of another Single Board Computers where browser navigation is really bad. Incapable of handle simple css animations without a lag.

So, i will suggest some ideas for a new video where UDOO can show us its capability around this subject:

1) chrome://gpu

Accessing this url on Chromium we can see what is being HW accelerated.

2) Video streaming via HTML5 Video.

Playing a video on youtube with some minutes dedicated to each quality (480p, 720p, 1080p).

3) Streaming UDOO's camera to HTML5 Video.

We will be able to see how UDOO will perform in need to handle the input from the camera and the output of it on the browser. The main goal here is check its fps and delay.

UDOO have a video on youtube showing its new camera and the performance is very good. What i would like to see is this same scenario, with the same UDOO's camera but with the output on browser instead of Android camera app or Udoobuntu software.

4) CSS and JS animations.

I will suggest you to run these demos because they are written having performance in mind

http://julian.com/research/velocity/demo.html

http://julian.com/research/velocity/playground.html

http://weight.aerotwist.com

Although i think the video will be the best way to show this, i know that this can be take a while to be done. If you could reply here with a screenshot of chrome://gpu it would be a good.

Thanks in advance.

2. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Hi,

the video is a good idea, we'll try to make it soon.

meanwhile i send you a an image as attachment to see the chrome://gpu response on UDOObuntu.

However, I can also say that on android there is a better optimization of the hardware graphic acceleration on browser so the performances are better.

Attached Files:

3. Diego ZoracKy

Diego ZoracKy New Member

Thank you for the answer @ekirei.

I know that Android can do better on processing graphics through browser. But if i can achieve a good performance on UDOObuntu i think that will be a better way to go. It gives us a lot more freedom to work on.

I will still wait for a video or something to show a demo. But for now i liked what i saw. It seems that it will perform well.

I just notice one thing that made me think. Why were this screenshot done on version 18 whereas Chromium is already on version 40? Is due to some sort of compatibility with UDOObuntu?

Thanks for the help until now.

4. pdblood

pdblood UDOOer

Hi @ekirei I am looking at GPU support for Chromium on UDOO. It seems the link to your attachment no longer works. I installed the latest Chromium within the current Udoobuntu distro. It shows no support for hardware acceleration, reporting a crash of the GPU process.

Is this similar to what your screenshot showed (see attached image). Is this what others are seeing?

Attached Files:

5. Diego ZoracKy

Diego ZoracKy New Member

Thanks @pdblood for the info. And no, i remember to see more nice green statuses on the older screenshot :|

6. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Here is what I got when I did chrome://GPU

[imgGraphics Feature Status
    Canvas: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled.
    Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
    Flash Stage3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
    Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
    Compositing: Hardware accelerated and threaded.
    Rasterization: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
    Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
    Video Encode: Hardware accelerated
    WebGL: Hardware accelerated
    Driver Bug Workarounds
    clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
    disable_post_sub_buffers_for_onscreen_surfaces
    use_virtualized_gl_contexts
    Problems Detected
    Mesa drivers in linux older than 7.11 are assumed to be buggy
    Disabled Features: all
    Accelerated 2d canvas is unstable in Linux at the moment
    Disabled Features: accelerated_2d_canvas
    Stage3D is not supported on Linux: 129848
    Disabled Features: flash_stage3d
    GPU rasterization is whitelisted on N4, N5, N7 and Moto X: 362779
    Disabled Features: gpu_rasterization
    Share groups are not working on (older?) Vivante drivers: 179250, 229643, 230896
    Applied Workarounds: use_virtualized_gl_contexts
    Clear uniforms before first program use on all platforms: 124764, 349137
    Applied Workarounds: clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
    Mesa drivers in Linux handle varyings without static use incorrectly: 333885
    Applied Workarounds: count_all_in_varyings_packing
    Disable partial swaps on linux drivers: 339493
    Applied Workarounds: disable_post_sub_buffers_for_onscreen_surfaces
    Some shaders in Skia need more than the min available vertex and fragment shader uniform vectors in case of OSMesa: 174845
    Applied Workarounds: max_fragment_uniform_vectors_32, max_varying_vectors_16, max_vertex_uniform_vectors_256
    Accelerated 2D canvas is unavailable: either disabled at the command line or not supported by the current system.
    Disabled Features: 2d_canvas
    Version Information
    Data exported 4/20/2015 3:11:18 PM
    Chrome version Chrome/36.0.1985.125
    Operating system Linux 3.10.17-80552-gd6e35d0
    Software rendering list version 8.7
    Driver bug list version 6.1
    ANGLE commit id 330b377c9bc8
    2D graphics backend Skia
    Command Line Args --enable-pinch --use-gl=egl --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Driver Information
    Initialization time 136
    Sandboxed false
    GPU0 VENDOR = 0x0000, DEVICE= 0x0000
    Optimus false
    AMD switchable false
    Driver vendor
    Driver version
    Driver date
    Pixel shader version 1.00
    Vertex shader version 1.00
    Machine model name
    Machine model version
    GL_VENDOR Vivante Corporation
    GL_RENDERER Vivante GC2000
    GL_VERSION OpenGL ES 2.0
    GL_EXTENSIONS GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_compressed_paletted_texture GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_fragment_precision_high GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_stencil1 GL_OES_stencil4 GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_OES_depth_texture GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_IMG_read_format GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_APPLE_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_APPLE_texture_max_level GL_ARM_rgba8 GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_VIV_shader_binary GL_VIV_direct_texture GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_multisampled_render_to_texture GL_VIV_clamp_to_border GL_OES_vertex_type_10_10_10_2 GL_EXT_texture_type_2_10_10_10_REV GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_OES_element_index_uint
    Window system binding vendor Vivante Corporation
    Window system binding version 1.4
    Window system binding extensions EGL_KHR_reusable_sync EGL_KHR_fence_sync EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_image_pixmap EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_lock_surface
    Direct rendering Yes
    Reset notification strategy 0x0000
    Log Messages
    [1697:1697:0420/144027:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(302)] : InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process
    [1697:1697:0420/144425:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : X error received: serial 1029, error_code 9 (BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)), request_code 152, minor_code 8 (Unknown)
    [1697:1697:0420/144433:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : X error received: serial 1331, error_code 9 (BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)), request_code 152, minor_code 8 (Unknown)
    [1697:1697:0420/144507:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : X error received: serial 1690, error_code 9 (BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)), request_code 152, minor_code 8 (Unknown)
    [1697:1697:0420/144654:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : X error received: serial 1914, error_code 9 (BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)), request_code 152, minor_code 8 (Unknown)
    [1697:1697:0420/144657:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : X error received: serial 2036, error_code 9 (BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)), request_code 152, minor_code 8 (Unknown)
    [1697:1697:0420/150817:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : X error received: serial 19993, error_code 9 (BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)), request_code 152, minor_code 8 (Unknown)
    [1697:1697:0420/150835:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : X error received: serial 20934, error_code 9 (BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)), request_code 152, minor_code 8 (Unknown)
    [1697:1697:0420/151112:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : X error received: serial 24667, error_code 9 (BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)), request_code 152, minor_code 8 (Unknown)
    [1697:1697:0420/151117:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1368)] : ][/img]

7. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Hmmm That did not work like I wanted it too...