What Wifi?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mkopack, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mkopack

mkopack Member

Any idea what Wifi speed we're getting with these things? 802.11n? g? (I don't see it called out anywhere on the website...)

Just wondering...

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

The Adapter seems to be registering as capable of 802.11n
    Looking at the connection info it shows the speed to be either 65Mb/s or 72Mb/s for me

However i setup a couple tests transferring a single large zip file and never reached a speed over 1.5MB/s or 12 Mb/s. The FTP server is wired into my wireless router at 1Gb/s speed. So far it doesn't appear that my router is doing any speed limiting.

CPU usage on the UDDO (quad) stays fairly low during the xfer, taking only 1 core to about 50% usage

overall im willing to bet this lack of performance is not due to to the the wifi adapter, but to the write rate of the microSD card itself. I am using a class10 card, but im betting that is still it. i will have to do some more testing.

In total, my 1.11GB zip file took about 13 minutes to xfer.. give or take

Maybe the WiFi adapter, maybe my SD card, but either way there are some test results for ya :)

3. josolanes

josolanes New Member

I have noticed, when writing the image to the SD Card, that my class 10 card seemed to stay pretty consistently between 6-8MB/s when writing with peaks over 10 and lows as low as 4. This is from an SSD that was in the computer writing to the SD Card

4. juanakin

juanakin New Member

Hi. I have udoo quad. I tried to configure the wifi connection using the desktop menu of the udoo but it doesn't work. Could someone give a tutorial? A method using console commands is also wellcome. Thanks

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Its pretty straight forward, first off make sure you are using the most recent linaro release

once booted to the desktop click on the network icon int he top right, by default the wifi card is on and it will show any broadcasting SSID/networks
    Select the one you want to join
    You will first be prompted for the root password (default is: ubuntu), it will then prompt for the wireless network password
    after you enter the two passwords wait a few minutes and you will be connected.