WiFi dies after 5 minutes of internet browsing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by armanm, Nov 1, 2013.

1. armanm

armanm New Member

I got my Dual Core and ran the Ubuntu distro that came with it. It looks pretty good and everything works except the WiFi drops after 5 minutes of browsing every time and the whole board has to be restarted for it to start working again. Not sure what to do with it as the WiFi is the whole reason I wanted one. Not sure how I can get a replacement.

I left this same comment on the Kickstarter page as well but got no response. There are a lot of other kick starters who are having issues and are asking for support on the Kick-starter website.

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Well if you see more direct them here for help. I haven't seen this issue reported. While i have seen abnormally high temperatures on the module it hasnt stopped working on me.

Does yours die just after being on for 5 minutes or is it 5 mins of use..

3. armanm

armanm New Member

Is it possible to have my board replaced? Without a working Wifi it is useless for me to have.

Thanks Draco

4. jaeg

jaeg Member

Have you tried seeing if your router is the issue?

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

As we've seen in other posts, the Wifi module is one of biggest heat sources. Its possible it's overheating causing the reboot.

6. jaeg

jaeg Member

He's not saying it's forcing a restart. It needs to restart in order to work again for 5 minutes. That's why I was thinking it's a software or router issue.

7. armanm

armanm New Member

Well it forces me to restart the board. No matter how many times I disable and re-enable WiFi, it won't work again. The only way to solve the problem is to entirely restart the board.

@jaeg, I have my own laptop plus my wife's one connected to the internet all the time and they work perfectly. I also used a different router but the problem doesn't go away.

8. jaeg

jaeg Member

Have you tried seeing if the internet goes out within five minutes when you plug in an ethernet cord?

9. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

i agree try the same tests with ethernet.

So after 5 minutes, does the adapter still show connected and it just wont work? or does it lose its IP and lose its connection?
    Does the same happen if its left idle for 5 minutes instead of active network usage for 5 minutes?