Windows 10 not booting properly from EMMC 32gig

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Tim B, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Tim B

Tim B New Member

When I turn on the UdooX86 it displays "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press any key to restart.
    I hit space bar.
    It than show hit any key within 6 seconds to skip dskcheck.
    I hit space bar.
    It than boots into windows 10.
    I loaded windows from 8 gb USB drive with firmware version .101 after about 8 tries it loaded.
    Have since updated firmware using the windows instructions command prompt to 102. Took me over an hour to update - couldn't figure out how to navigate to the right folder on the drive so used a USB drive with nothing but bios and contents from x64 folder ( no actual folders on USB drive so when I switched DIr to that drive was able to see the commands.
    Any suggestions on getting it to boot properly. I have limited experience tinkering around - specfic instructions will be needed.

2. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

Tim, Once you are in Windows, open up Windows Disk Management and have a look at what hidden partitions the Windows installer has laid down. It is possible that the boot sequence is not correct in the disk layout.

The other thing to check is has the eMMC been marked as Active? Normally if the OS disk is not marked as active, you get a no OS found error, but it might be that the BIOS can actually see the eMMC card which is why you can eventually boot to Windows.

3. Tim B

Tim B New Member

There was a 0 partition -2gb
    The emmc was not active - I made it active - now it won't boot at all.
    Any suggestions

4. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Reinstall windows properly this time by deleting ALL partitions on the EMMC and formatting it prior to install. Firmware version had nothing to do with this, it was just a basic failed install. You didn't set the machine up properly before the install, you missed some key information in the windows 10 install guide, as a result, you created a partition and space on the disk that is not readily bootable.

5. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

Again, the options in front of you are slim. You can attempt to boot to a repair session and let the OS attempt to repair (rewrite the bootsector) now that you have in theory fixed some of the setup issues, however, that simply may fail. https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-windows-10-wont-boot-startup-repair-bootrec/

At this point, you might just have to bite the bullet, remove any and all partitions from the EMMC, use the USB stick to install the OS again from scratch and this time, with a fully blank and active EMMC as the only other medium attached it should properly write the file structure.

6. Tim B

Tim B New Member

First thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it.
    The good news is!
    My SSD came in today so I used my USB drive to load the Windows 10 OS onto it. Boot quicker with no errors.
    Now If someone could give me step by step how to put android on the EMMC.