Windows 7 installation guide?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Mozart von Robot, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Mozart von Robot

Mozart von Robot New Member

Is there a complete guide for installing Windows 7 on the Udoo x86? I got so far as keyboard working and choosing language etc. The step after that, I'm not getting anywhere with this thing (and I've installed Windows 7 before, just not on this). There seems to be some kind of driver issue, but how can I access drivers from a USB drive when I can't access the USB drive without drivers? Has anyone actually managed to do this, and if so, what did you do exactly? Did you use a slimmed down version of Windows (made in rt7lite or buclean or something) or just "burn" the standard bloated image to the USB drive? Did it ask for drivers, and if so, how did you provide them?
    I've heard Windows 10 is easier to get working on this thing, but I don't have a key for that (and have only had bad experiences with Win10), so I'd prefer not to have to go there. Please, if anyone can point me to a step by step guide, or to a solution to the drive driver drive problem, or has a Windows 7 USB image (or preinstalled SD image with product key step skipped) that's known to work with the UDOO x86 Ultra, I'd be very grateful. I was thinking I'd try to install it internally or on a class 10 microSD card for now (until I can get my hands on an SSD - those things are not cheap); is this even remotely possible?

2. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

3. Mozart von Robot

Mozart von Robot New Member

So does the eMMC fall into the same category of places where Windows 7 just won't go? Is there anything other than an SSD I can test this thing out with? Am I going to have to hook up a big ol' SATA HDD? I didn't buy a power cable for that, and I think I saw something about not being able to use a regular one. Is this correct?

4. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

I'm not sure about eMMC. As for SATA HDD, the power connector on UDOO is non-standard and also only provides 5V and not 12V, and both are usually needed by SATA HDD's.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. mkopack

mkopack Member

For 3.5" SATA hard drives... 2.5" laptop style SATA drives usually will work fine with just 5V.

Markus Laire likes this.
  6. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

Windows 7 will NOT install to SD nor The nand on the udoo (IE eMMC).
    I just install win 10 since 7 would be a nightmare, also got a win 10 pro key for $15 anyways.

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

8. Lord Arach

Lord Arach New Member