Wireless unable to browse

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by simonrowe, Dec 6, 2013.

1. simonrowe

simonrowe New Member

I'm having big trouble with the wireless connection and actually being able to surf or download anything. If I set a terminal going which is ping-ing some site, then all looks good - my times are around 20ms which seems normal. IF however I then startup Chrome or Firefox, my ping times shoot up to 2-3 seconds and then ping hangs (^C doesn't kill it). Generally speaking Chrome is unable to actually load anything.

I tried wget on things and have exactly the same effect happening (as does sftp).

I can't believe this is expected behaviour - the wifi is unusable like this. I've tried with 2 differnt AP's, with exactly the same results.

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Can you state your OS & versions please, so someone can help you.

3. simonrowe

simonrowe New Member

Sorry, I've got the UDOO dual with a clean installation of ubunu 12.04 UTS.

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

the 12.04 release is pretty new i haven't done full testing on it myself, but limited testing i did didnt show anything like this.
    That said, i would recommend trying to load up the UDOO Linaro image v1.3 and see if you have the same issue.
    There has been very rare case of flakey wireless modules, but lets try a different Image first.

5. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

I'm using the 12.04 since 2 weeks and i've never experienced anything like that. My ping times are normal even when i open firefox or chrome and i'm able to browse the web quite fast with both of them.

6. simonrowe

simonrowe New Member

I've tried the 1.3 image with exactly the same results - basically wireless is unusable once you actually start trying to move data through it. My suspicion is that the wireless card is flaky - how do I get a replacement ?

7. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

For replacement issues, please raise a Customer Care ticket (see my signature).

8. simonrowe

simonrowe New Member

Thanks - ticket raised.