Ws2811 using Udoo

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by pavan4, Mar 15, 2014.

1. pavan4

pavan4 New Member

Hello

I am trying to control some ws2811 pixels using the adafruit neopixel library.

When I use an arduino uno they work fine but when I import the library and flash the code on udoo nothing lights up.

I have taken care of the basic things like power and connections. I basically set the exact same setup as in the arduino but they dont seem to light up.

Also, I get different voltages out of the PWM pin compared to arduino and udoo. Could someone tell me if I doing something wrong.? I could post detailed pictures of my setup.

I tried with a basic led on pin13 shown in examples and that seems to light up. But neopixel don't work.

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

Not sure if this is the problem , but adafruit say you can`t use the neopixel or some other led strings on a Raspberry Pi or interpreted machines running Linux etc , because of the very strict timing needed.

3. pavan4

pavan4 New Member

But I am using arduino or the SAM to run the arduino code to drive the pixels. Thats the whole point and the power of UDOO if I am not mistaken

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

I`ve only had my udoo for a few days now , so it looks like I`ll be in the same boat soon.
    I have one of these :-

http://www.phenoptix.com/collections/le ... lexi_strip

Getting i2c working was my first project , which went easier than I thought it would and with a extra bonus of 2 working i2c port .

How are you powering it with a 5 volt power supply , but the SPI level shifted ? or just 3.3 volt off the board logic ?

OOPS it looks like I have a LPD8806 chip set and not the ws28011

5. pavan4

pavan4 New Member

Yup I am powering them up externally and the connecting the data line to the PWM pin off the UDOO and also connecting the ground (very imp.)

You are right you have the LDP8806 which needs an external clock signal. The WS2812/11 doesn't need the clock. I posted a question (sorta) on the adafruit forum where they claim it worked with the DUE. Let me know if you have any info on this. I will be very grateful to you :)

6. peter247

peter247 New Member

wow that some complex assembly coding .

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ne ... oPixel.cpp

It does say "and also works with the Arduino Due" , so I guess they have tested it on the Due at one time or another " I HOPE "

It look like my SPI strip may be much easier to program and understand than yours.

7. pavan4

pavan4 New Member

8. dgarcia42

dgarcia42 New Member

(FastLED maintainer here) - it does look like there's some clock timing differences between the sam8x3 on the udoo and what's in the arduino due and the digix, unfortunately. And an attempt to clean up the timing code for WS2811/WS2812 output seems to have exacerbated the problem on the udoo. You'll want to grab the FastLED2.1 branch at f85777da0c37fb05ec964ec86668e7fce4c97dba for now.

It looks like i'm going to have to buy an udoo to figure out what's going on with the building/timing.

9. dgarcia42

dgarcia42 New Member

Ok - while I was able to fix the problems by playing with/adjusting the voltage coming into the UDOO, I also kept tweaking around the timing in the code, and was able to push a new update to the FastLED2.1 tree that appears to be quite happy with the UDOO and my 5v (putting out 5.25v) power supply.

10. Alanwangwang

Alanwangwang New Member

11. jrullan

jrullan New Member

Hello All,

I'm not sure if any of the guys asking to control the WS2811/12 are still around and are still having issues, but I can assure you they work on the Udoo. I bought mine for a led strips project and they work using the Adafruit library.

The library has support for the Due SAM3X8E architecture and works on the Due and on the Udoo.

If you are coming from an UNO based project, be aware that the Due outputs 3.3 V on the pins instead of the 5V that are required for the Leds strips. In my projects I use level shifters (from Adafruit) to convert the Due's 3.3 V signal into the WS2811/12 5V level.