x86 + Curie hello world suggestions?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by mamillerpa, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mamillerpa

mamillerpa New Member

Hi there. I just got an Udoo x86 Advanced Plus, have installed an OS, but otherwise don't know where to start.

I'm a long time Linux user and x86 system builder, but I don't know anything about Arduino or microcontrollers in general. My primary programming language is R, but I can get by in Python.

I have Ubuntu installed on my x86 but no IDE or SDK or whatever. Is there some minimal hello world project I can do to convince myself that I can connect to the Curie/Arduino side?

Alternatively, is there something simple I could do with the Braswell GPIO pins, like turning an LED on and off? I just want to do anything that I couldn't do on a typical desktop computer. I'd like to get myself oriented so I can do some projects with my nieces and nephews over the Christmas break.

thanks,
    Mark

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. mamillerpa

mamillerpa New Member

Thanks, this is great.

I can't get my compiled sketch to upload. Sometimes I get a message that /dev/ttyACM0 can't be touched, other times I get

Starting download script...
    Flashing is taking longer than expected
    Try pressing MASTER_RESET button
    An error occurred while uploading the sketch
    ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on /dev/ttyACM0​

I have added myself to the dialout group, experimented with various udev rules, and set the permissions on /dev/tyyACM0 to 777, but nothing has helped so far.

I feel like the IDE is at least partially recognizing my Arduino...

Screenshot from 2017-12-15 19-54-40.png

Attached Files:

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I had the same upload issue at first. It has to do with updating the Bluetooth (BLE) driver of the Curie. I got it running by this procedure. After that it uploaded fine.
    1. Reboot Udoo.
    2. Start Arduino IDE and load blink example
    3. Press arduino master reset button
    4. Compile and upload arduino sketch.

Markus Laire likes this.
  5. mamillerpa

mamillerpa New Member

Thanks. I took a fresh start and installed Windows 10.... hopefully that doesn't have anything to do with my success, because I prefer to go back to Ubuntu.

I installed and selected the Arduino 101 board definition, confirmed port COM3, and then followed your suggestions.

The IDE confirmed that the BLE firmware was being updated, and then the LED started blinking!

waltervl likes this.
  6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I suppose this is OS independent, now the Curie is up to date so Arduino IDE will also upload from Ubuntu.