'x86 Used as NAS, Read Write Speeds

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by SteveD, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SteveD

SteveD Member

Hi everybody,

I wanted to use the udoox86 primarily as a NAS, and wanted to what others have achieved, in terms on configurations and R/W speeds over LAN/Wifi.

I missed the backer boat and am in queue for pre-order, so it may be a month or more before I can tinker around, but my planned setup will be... X86 Advanced, Ubuntu with Gigabit Lan, with usb 3.0 portable HDDs, either going through a hub, or directly connected if the board is able to supply enough power.

Thanks Everyone!
    SteveD

2. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Hi, I'm also thinking of using UDOO X86 as NAS with following setup:
    • UDOO X86 Ultra
    • Debian Stretch (hopefully released in near future)
    • gigabit LAN
    • 128 GB M.2 SSD for OS and maybe some shared files
    • 3 TB 3.5" SATA for most files (this requires custom power cable for 12V)
    I havn't got any measurements yet as I'm still planning my full setup. I'm going to use UDOO X86 also for some CPU heavy things so fan is a must, and I think that I might just use 80x80mm fan since space is not an issue for me.

3. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

I just did quick test of read/write speed with Samba. (Note that neither computer used SSD so this can affect speed.)
    • UDOO X86 Ultra with Debian Stretch, Samba, 1000 Mbit ethernet, SATA HDD
    • Windows 10 computer with HDD
    Copying 9 GB file from UDOO to Windows 10 (UDOO was restarted first so file was not cached): about 100 MB/s
    from-udoo.png
    Copying 9 GB file from Windows 10 to UDOO: reaches 100 MB/s with occasionally slower
    to-udoo.png

4. SteveD

SteveD Member

5. TheZig

TheZig New Member

This is exactly what I would like to do. Was thinking either FreeNas or Open Media Vault. Mainly due to what I've read online and not having huge experience setting up a NAS.

6. weemo

weemo Member

with which board was this? how comparable is this to a regular NAS? anyone knows? Thanks

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

weemo likes this.
  8. Gronis

Gronis UDOOer

I've been using my UDOO x86 as a NAS since I build it around august 2017 and it's been working very well. I've been using it with zfs and 3 3TB disks in a raid5/raidz1configuration. When mounted as a nfs drive I get around 105MB/s read speed over ethernet when testing with dd (no cache). I'm using UDOO x86 Advanced Plus with os installed on the 32GB NAND flash (no external ssd). The only thing i regret with the setup is that I should have invested in larger drives.

9. lpkampen

lpkampen New Member

Hi!
    Could you share some info on how you ware able to put 3 disks in raid? Or even connected? PCI raid card? I've only had time to test my Udoo with a 2TB disk and wasnt able to drive it steadly either from an external powerbrick (tried two) or by pulling 12v from the Udoo, was starting to think that the drive was faulty so now its spinning in a tower server as part of my primary nas. I'm writing and reading to/from it almost daily and ran multiple tests on it and it works perfectly...
    Haven't had time to look into it again since january or something but I'd love to figure this out, migth buy a few 2,5" disks with 2-3TB to see if that works better...

EDIT:
    I'm sorry, I found your post now:
    https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/x86-gallery.6708/#post-29303

10. Gronis

Gronis UDOOer

Hi, nice that you found my post.

I will make some changes to my NAS. I recently bought a 3d printer, so I was thinking about printing a chassi for it which is better than my solution in the gallery. I've had a few problems with the PCI-e SATA card not being screwed in position on the chassi and the disks went offline on my NAS a few times (a reboot usually solves it, but it's not a long term solution). Hopefully with a new design this will not be a problem. Also, I want to design the case so that switching drives will be much easier, just slide the drives in and out basically, without messing with the cables.

How is your NAS solution coming along? Did you buy a PCI-e sata card and a 2.m to PCI-e adapter (from here: https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/my-mega-thread-on-regular-sized-pcie-slot.7045/)? Or did you buy a finished NAS solution?

11. Alan Basurto

Alan Basurto New Member

[QUOTE = "Gronis, post: 36876, miembro: 41075"] He estado usando mi UDOO x86 como NAS desde que lo construí en agosto de 2017 y ha estado funcionando muy bien. Lo he estado usando con zfs y 3 discos de 3TB en una configuración raid5 / raidz1. Cuando se monta como unidad de disco nfs, obtengo una velocidad de lectura de aproximadamente 105MB / s a través de Ethernet cuando se prueba con dd (sin caché). Estoy usando UDOO x86 Advanced Plus con el sistema operativo instalado en el flash NAND de 32GB (sin ssd externo). Lo único que lamento con la configuración es que debería haber invertido en unidades más grandes. [/ QUOTE]
    GUAU. Yo quiero hacer algo similar, me podrías decir dónde encontrar la solución para lograrlo. Tengo una udoo x86 básica y un disco duro externo de 2 terabytes, una micro SD de 128 gb.

12. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Google Translate to English:

[QUOTE = "Gronis, post: 36876, member: 41075"] I have been using my x86 UDOO as NAS since I built it in August 2017 and it has been working very well. I've been using it with zfs and 3 3TB disks in a raid5 / raidz1 configuration. When mounted as a nfs drive, I get a reading speed of approximately 105MB / s via Ethernet when testing with dd (without cache). I am using UDOO x86 Advanced Plus with the operating system installed on the 32GB NAND flash (without external ssd). The only thing I regret with the configuration is that I should have invested in larger units. [/ QUOTE]
    WOW. I want to do something similar, you could tell me where to find the solution to achieve it. I have a basic x86 udoo and an external hard drive of 2 terabytes, a micro SD of 128 gb.

13. Will Warren

Will Warren UDOOer

Yeah but the post you translated was a translation of post #8 :D

14. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Look again. Post #11 quotes post #8. :D