Wifi modules, can you use something different?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Bencozzy, Sep 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bencozzy

Bencozzy New Member

Is it possible to use this card Intel Network 8260NGW on x86 ultra? Also what form factor should I be looking at for the m.2 ssd?

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

In a Kickstarter comment by UDOO, they mentioned the SATA M.2 slots would be 2242 and 2260.
    The product brief for the Intel Network 8260NGA that you listed, shows the form factor as 2230 - As a result, I believe it will not lock into the 2242 slot correctly.

EDITED POST TO AMMEND/ADD: I forgot the M.2 slot is staggered, so the lower one for the wireless is 2230.
    The Intel wireless card that comes with some of the Kickstarter rewards is the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-3168-brief.html

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Fuzzyroll and Andrea Rovai like this.
  3. Bencozzy

Bencozzy New Member

Thank you very much for that information

4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@Bencozzy I just realised that I'd misinterpreted the size information for the M.2 slots, so have updated my original reply to you to reflect this. Sorry for the confusion. It's probably better to wait until more technical details are released on the UDOO X86, before purchasing accessories different to what's provided / available in UDOO store.
    The following wireless card will work and is available at a good price! - http://shop.udoo.org/eu/m-2-wi-fi-intel-dual-band-ac-wi-fi-bt-4-0-5ghz-antenna-adhesive.html

Fuzzyroll and Andrea Rovai like this.
  5. gazcbm

gazcbm New Member

I've got one of these in my spares, Atheros C2043N hoping this will fit IMG_4608.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@gazcbm That does not appear to be an M.2 compatible module.

7. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Your Atheros C204N3 is a 1630 key A+E WiFi card.
    It will fit the lower M.2 slot (which is a type-E 2230 format slot.)

16 is narrower than 22mm wide. This is why the mounting screw is off-center.

ccs_hello

Fuzzyroll and gazcbm like this.
  8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Yes, your 8260NGW is a type-A+E M.2 2230 WiFi card.
    It will fit the lower slot which is a M.2 type-E 2230 slot.

ccs_hello

9. Laura

Laura UDOOer

The off-centre hole is what made me believe is was not M.2 :confused:
    I did not realise that narrower M.2 cards existed and could fit. Thanks @css_hello :)

gazcbm likes this.
  10. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

11. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I having problem to install driver for AC7265 even I tried to uninstall driver and update to the latest version with Wireless_19.50.1_PROSet64_Win10.exe but still no luck. Please shed some light if you guys know what went wrong with the installation.
    Below is the screen shot of the messages.
    AC7265properties.jpg updatedrivers.jpg

12. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

I just plugged it in and it worked on Windows10. Connect using an alternate source, either a USB wifi or Ethernet, let windows try to grab the correct driver online- probably solves it that quickly.

13. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Hi Jetguy, my USB wifi adapter and Ethernet are working fine. I hook up internet and update driver with Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software for Windows 10 but still can't access to the wireless card. Do you think I should reinstall Windows 10?
    Thanks

14. crieke

crieke New Member

I have installed the Intel 8265NGW. It works without any issues so far in Windows 10, Linux, Kodi...

Fuzzyroll likes this.
  15. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I have installed the Intel AC7625 in Linux but still no luck in Windows.

16. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

I've ordered an Intel 8265NGFF, to replace the Intel 3168NGW card I purchased from Udoo, for 802.11ac support (up to 867 mbps). Now I'm a bit concerned about the NGFF (Next Generation Form Factor) suffix compared to the NGW suffix. After attempting to research the difference between the NGFF and NGW parts (unsuccessfully), I must admit I am a bit confused. That research turned up a NGWMG to further confuse the issue.

So, I'd be grateful for any information others may be able to share concerning the various suffix designations, and their potential compatibility with the X86 board.

I'd also be interested in learning which specific Linux drivers you have found that support the Intel 8265 WiFi hardware.

Incidentally, the latest Windows WiFi and BlueTooth drivers are available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...are-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=83418 . These are newer than those installed by default by Windows 10.

Latest Linux drivers are available here: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi#git_repositories

17. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Use AC-8265NGW (or 8265NGWMG) in this board's NGFF (M.2) A+E slot.

18. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Thank you for your response to my inquiry.

Are you able to provide the reason(s) your recommendation doesn't include the Intel 8265NGFF ?

According to the specification and the image of the Intel 8265NGFF , it appears that it is also A+F keyed. Or am I missing the point that NGFF and NGW are synonymous terms for the same standard?

19. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

There is no such part number.
    On that ebay listing's picture, you can find its part number (top left corner) shown as 8265NGW.

NGFF is the form factor (Next Gen Form Factor), also known as M.2.

P.S. Wifi board will fit the M.2 socket 1 (gen 1). These have A+E keys.

20. Vitminc

Vitminc New Member

I think one other option is 8260NGW. Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is very similar to the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260.
    The main difference is that the ac 8265 is the 4th Generation of Intel 802.11ac, therefore, it includes full support the latest ac features such as MU-MIMO, 802.11r, 802.11k, 802.11v (pending). I think there not a lot people who really need 802.11r, 802.11k, 802.11v roaming features or multi user (MU-MIMO) capabilities. It's same as delivered 3168NGW, but with 867 Mbit Dual Band.

I've got it for 14 Euro. Since the board is not delivered, can't say how it will work. Anyway Intel supports it on any platform.

LDighera likes this.