Can't access BIOS functions

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by ekman, Mar 27, 2017.

1. SupaHappyFace

SupaHappyFace New Member

Glad I can help, try updating the UEFI once you have OS installed. --> https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Advanced_Topics/UEFI_update.html
    Backer 4474

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. freethinker

freethinker New Member

not everyone has an extra monitor sitting around. Why don't you fix the issue so the BIOS is available with any monitor. RIDICULOUS!!!!!

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

the problem lies in the fact that in uefi mode there is no video driver. So there has to be one HDMI mode chosen. And your monitor by accident cannot handle that HDMI mode. So instead of blaming Udoo you could also blame your monitor manufacturer. You are not really a free thinker.....
    If it is a TV you could fiddle around with the settings. Sometimes it has a PC mode.

LDighera likes this.
  5. freethinker

freethinker New Member

waltervl wrote :
    the problem lies in the fact that in uefi mode there is no video driver. So there has told be one HDMI mode chosen. And your monitor by accident cannot handle that HDMI mode. So instead of blaming Udoo you could also blame your monitor manufacturer. You are not really a free thinker.....
    If it is a TV you could fiddle around with the settings. Sometimes it has a PC mode.

reply to waltervl
    I do in fact have three PC HDMI monitors and have tried them all and I have the same issue using any of them. The issue is, I am unable to 'ESC' into the Front Page settings. So yes, I am blaming UDOO because I doubt all of these monitors "by accident" have the same problem to which you refer. All three of my monitors are high-end brands, Dell and LG, not some hacked up crap.

Yes, I am blaming UDOO because after I flashed the x86 board with the new BIOS version 1.03, I was several times able to get into Front Page using ESC key when restarting the x86. Moreover, indicating that it is UDOO, after I played with a few Arduino scripts, the next day, and since then, I am unable to ESC into Front Page during reboot. I doubt my monitors are randomly (accidentally, as you put it) changing their configuration or firmware, so yes the problem is most likely the UDOO board. The issue could be caused by a timing or sequence problem, it could be the keyboard driver is not loading fast enough to capture my ESC keystroke, an unprocessed interrupt, it could be defective BIOS . . . So instead of resorting to insults and making this personal by accusing me of not being a FreeThinker, I wonder if you can drop the attitude and accept that maybe the problem is in the UDOO board.

I have no idea who you are and was not writing to you or any one person. I simply made an exclamation, RIDUCULOUS. I still assert that is ridiculous to say it is the monitor manufacturer without sufficient investigation or effort to solve the problem. If I were to resort to your rude style of communication, I could call you arrogant for assuming could not be udoo;I could call you incompetent for not investigating any further; I could call you lazy for not listing some monitors that you know will work (if indeed that is the problem); or I could call you an a-hole for making this personal, but I won't. I have no idea who you are but if you work for udoo, you should find another career or just grow up.

In the category of ridiculous is the claim in udoo's web page that the x86 Advanced board is 2.24 GHz, when it is in fact 1.6GHz. When and if it is possible to enter the so-called "Turbo Boost" mode, I doubt it is sustained long enough for it to be used as a processor speed specification. Deceptive and RIDICULOUS. A more honest spec would be: 1.6 GHz processor speed and 2.24 GHz Turbo Boost under limited circumstances. Also ridiculous that the board did not come with the most recent BIOS 1.03 two months after release.

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@freethinker Good post, really encourages me to help you. If you would have put this additional information in your first post it would have helped even more.

I agree that the Intel burst mode (not to be confused with turbo mode) is not advertised completely correct by the Udoo team but if you investigated it a little bit more you would have known this.

V1.0.3 is only out for 3 weeks, not months. So it is not ridiculous it is not on your board.

Given your new information I would also suspect you have a USB issue. What type of sketch is on the Arduino side? Is it sending serial data a lot? What if you upload the bare minimal sketch and reboot the Udoo x86. Can you ESC into uefi?

7. Laura

Laura UDOOer

The UDOO X86 firmware 1.03 was made available on the 6th August, and was included on boards manufactured after that date. We have provided a software tool to update the firmware, for users who would like to update their board to the latest firmware version.

Regarding not being able to access the firmware settings screen, @freethinker, please list the type and model of keyboard you are using, and the monitor model. Thanks.

8. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Guys,

i’d like to remind you that in this forum people are here to HELP. We really care about positive values such as: respect, civilisation, friendship, welcoming, open, support, community, cooperation, ethics, growth and so on.

On the contrary we fight against hostility, free (and non-constructive) criticism, violence and negativism.

In this space the Users don’t have to be afraid to ask questions, here nobody judges the others and everyone is ready to help each other (expecially the new ones).

I suggest all the users to read our rules and to RESPECT this if they want to continue contributing to the UDOO COMMUNITY: https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/forum-rules.3/

ektor5 and waltervl like this.
  9. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

@freethinker, like explained in the docs, it is possible that the keyboard you have doesn't work in POST stage:
    However, if you end up in the EFI Shell, typing "exit" should enter BIOS Menu automatically.

Ek5

10. freethinker

freethinker New Member

Thanks for replies. I suspected something like the USB keyboard driver was not workin properly with my kybd, as I stated in my second post, so I bought a new USB keybd, and now I can ESCAPE into the Front Page settings and see BIOS.

The whole point to getting into BIOS was to change cpu fan settings because the cpu fan turns off after post and never turns on again even though the heat sink gets hot enough that I cannot touch it for more than 4 seconds. This is true with default settings and my lower custom settings. Feels like 75 C. The fan is from your company, a three wire version. BIOS 1.03 fan settings are 55 Celsius, 65 Celsius, 75% duty. I reset BIOS to default settings, rebooted and reset as mentioned. Udoo has known about this issue for at least 6 months, so wondering is there anything being done on bios 1.04 to allow for lower temp. Have you tested your boards to see if the temperature sensor is reading temperature accrurately. Maybe there is a conversion error.

11. freethinker

freethinker New Member

Oh, Laura, I don't want to be disrespectful, I just disagree with you on BIOS 1.03 release date. It is stated on your web site as being June 8, 2017. See below. My x86 was ordered August 24, 2017. That is one and a half week shy of three months after release date and my board had 1.02 BIOS. I always thought release date meant the date it can be loaded and shipped. Oh well, I have it now. Thanks for reply.

Firmware name: 0B020000.103; BIOSversion: 1.03; Release Date: 06/ 08/2017

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  12. freethinker

freethinker New Member

To delbas, I didn't like waltervl accusing me of not being a free thinker and responded too agressively, for which I apologize. If you and he find the word RIDUCULOUS, disrespectful, so be it, maybe the it's a cultural difference or just the ALL CAPS. I did not call him names but said I could have, though that can easily be misread as sarcasm. However it is insulting to me for you suggest I should read the forum rules while making no mention of the fact or apology for your co-worker / employee's incivility. I suspected the problem was not in the the monitor firmware but some other driver or timing issue in the x86, and I was correct - keyboard driver is not robust enough to handle wireless keybd on startup. Walter made no attempt to think about the problem, assumed he was right and resorted to incivility. Go ahead and ban me for being honest, I won't return to this forum anyway unless you and Waltervl apologize. You have my apology.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017