3 questions re: x86 Advanced Plus board and Ubuntu

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Joe Schmoe, May 19, 2018.

1. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

I've recently received the x86 Advanced Plus board and it is nice. I have 3 issues, however:

1) Is there a reset button on the board? So far, the only way I've been able to reset is to power cycle (unplug, replug the power supply). Is there an easier/safer way?
    2) In Ubuntu (18.04 LTS - very recent release of Ubuntu), there is no sound when I play video from YouTube. Shouldn't sound "just work" through the HDMI TV? My HDMI TV works fine with everything else, including a Raspberry Pi. Is there a special program you have to use to play video/sound, like there is with the Raspberry Pi? (omxplayer)
    3) There doesn't seem to be any virtual consoles anymore. That is, Ctrl/Alt/F2 doesn't do anything. This probably doesn't have anything to do with the UDOO board, but seems to be a Ubuntu thing. Still, would like to be able to use the virtual consoles, like I do in every other version of Linux. Also note: If I do (as root):

# chvt 2

it just seems to hang. I have to Ctrl/C it to get back to the terminal prompt.

Any/all help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

1) Yes, I found it. Thanks for the tip. However, note that it seems to be more of a power button (like on a normal PC) rather than a full-reset button. I haven't been able to test this thoroughly, but it seems like there could be cases where you still need to pull the plug (if it gets stuck).

2) Yeah, it is OK now. I found the setting in Ubuntu to switch the sound from the built-in speakers (which don't exist) to the HDMI. YouTube works now.

3) This seems to be a Ubuntu thing. If you boot into the GUI (set it to auto-login to desktop), then the virtual console become inaccessible. It's like they (the Ubuntu people) are saying "We're a full GUI OS now. We're just like Windows. You don't need virtual consoles anymore."

It's a shame, because I've always like the VCs in Linux. I've done some fun/interesting things with them. Shame to lose it.
    I suppose the answer is just to install some other Linux version.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

As said, you can connect a reset button yourself on the external buttons header.

5. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

Is it documented anywhere exactly how to do that? I.e., where to connect it? What kind of cable, what kind of switch, etc?

6. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

waltervl likes this.
  7. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

In the "Hardware Overview", I see something called "Front Panel Pins". Is that it?

8. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

In the UDOO User Guide it is section 3.3.6 called “Buttons / LED Header” and is on connector CN25.

These pins equate directly to the similar pins you find on most motherboards to connect the power and reset switches and the HDD LED’s.

waltervl likes this.
  9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

10. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

So, the answer is "Yes".

It is the block of pins labeled (in at least one of the available pictures) as "Front Panel Pins".

And I note that there is currently a jumper block on 6 of those pins - presumably, this locks them in the "always on" position.
    I would, presumably, remove this jumper block to replace it with a switch device - such as the one mentioned upthread.

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Those are not jumpers but protectors. No electronical function. You can remove them without any change of function of the board.

12. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

OK. Thanks.