Can't get to the Front Page anymore

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Joe Schmoe, May 19, 2018.

1. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

So, I've successfully installed Ubuntu to the eMMC and when I power up, it boots right into it.

But try as I may (and I have tried!), I can no longer get to the Front Page or the EFI shell. No matter how hard I pound on Escape at the initial prompt, it goes ahead and boots GRUB. The screen I see is the GRUB screen. Note that if I don't pound on Escape, then it skips the GRUB screen and boots right into Ubuntu.

From what I've read here, you can fix this by removing the RTC battery. But surely, there's a better way?

2. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

Is there really no other way than removing the RTC battery?

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

4. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

I'm curious why you suggest this. The monitor works fine. It runs Ubuntu fine.

To be clear, here's what happens:

1) If I turn the machine on and do nothing, it first shows the message "Press Esc to view Front Page", then a few seconds later, boots directly into Ubuntu.

2) If I turn the machine on and start banging on the Escape key, the message "Press Esc to view Front Page" shows up (as before), then it goes to a GRUB screen (part of the Ubuntu install). Once I am at the GRUB screen, I assume it is too late to get to the Front Page or the EFI shell. I assume I am already running off whatever is installed on the eMMC card. My choices at this screen are to boot Ubuntu (the default) or a couple of other options like "memory test" and "memory test with serial port".

In any case, I don't think there is anything I can do at this point other than to power off and try again to get into the Front Page or the EFI shell. I have tried this many, many times. It never works.

5. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

When you say "banging on the Escape key," are you literally pressing it down and letting it up repeatedly? Or are you holding it down and keeping it down as soon (or before) you power up?

6. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

I've tried all of the above.

Note: I have a wired USB keyboard. (Incidentally, I've used a wireless keyboard in the past with this board and it works fine, but just in case that's a variable, I'm doing this testing wired)

7. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

I'm not familiar with GRUB, but the native bootloader I use with the OS I am porting to Udoo lets the user drop into a configuration shell with the Escape key. Does GRUB have the same, and if so, does holding the Escape key down in the bootloader do what it is supposed to? At any point in time did you change any of the UEFI settings?

8. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

my wireless kb will not connect fast enough with the default timer for the splash screen for bios setting. the fix is either use wired kb or change the timeout longer for the wireless kb to connect.

9. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

I have not changed anything in the (U)EFI.

Anyway, the problem is that GRUB is installed on the "hard disk" (i.e., the eMMC) so once it is running, you are no longer in the EFI world.
    I.e., it's too late to get to either the EFI shell or the "Front Page".

I think the bottom line here is that I need to test this with another keyboard. The one I was using seems to have "issues".

P.S. In case my previous post was unclear, I AM using a wired keyboard. I'm well aware that a wireless keyboard might well not be fast enough.

P.P.S. The real problem here is bad design. The EFI re-arranges the boot order based on what you last booted - so it boots into the eMMC first - before trying any of the other choices - just because you last booted into the eMMC. Essentially, once you boot off the eMMC, your system is broken as far as being able to boot anything else. Sad.

10. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

How can you change that "timeout" value?

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The Escape sequence should get you into uefi, whatever way the OS is installed.
    As soon as you supply power to the udoo start hitting the Esc button and wifi should appear. It can be that the GPU is not recognizing your HDMI monitor as the GPU is in driverless mode so perhaps as I already mentioned try another HDMI monitor (can also be any recent TV).

12. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

13. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe New Member

I still don't understand why you bring up the subject of the HDMI monitor, since the screen part of all of this is working fine (and i never mentioned anything about anything having to do with the screen). But never mind. Let's not go there.

Anyway, I tested with a different wired keyboard (i.e., a wired keyboard other than the previous wired keyboard) and it worked. I was able to get into the Front Page and into the EFI shell.

So, all is well.

P.S. I looked at the stackexchange URL you posted (thanks for that!). Interesting stuff - but not immediately relevant (because, as I said, switching keyboards fixed the problem). But quite possibly relevant in the future. Thanks again.

waltervl likes this.
  14. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Because you kept ignoring it... But hey, it works now so you were absolutely right!