UDOO x86 with M.2 to PCI-e (x2) and PERC H310

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by rgip, Jun 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rgip

rgip New Member

Hello,

It is possible to connect the M.2 to PCI-e x2.
    Can I use the PERC H310 (6-lane far I know) to connect up to 4 SATA/SAS to UDOO x86?
    If UDOO x86 can handle the GeForce 1080 TI, it's going to be able to handle the PERC H310?

PS: I'm using an external PSU, so, power up the H310 and the sata drives is not going to be a problem for me.

Thank you!

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@css_hello Any ideas?

3. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

In theory, PERC H310 (8-lane PCIe 2.0 bus) should work when using UDOO x86's key-B slot.
    Note only 2 lanes will be used.
    This is under the assumption that H310's own firmware won't complain "only seeing 2-lane bus".

BTW, PERC itself can be picky when if it's not used on OEM motherboard. That has nothing to do with UDOO board (or any other PC motherboard) but the DELL's own biz approaches.

LDighera and waltervl like this.
  4. rgip

rgip New Member

Hi, ccs_hello! Thank you for the answer. So, this can't "hurt" the UDOO x86 in any form, using this approach and with a external PSU, right?
    Or the energy from external PSU can passthrough the PCI-e and go to UDOO somehow (like bad USB 3.0 powered devices)
    Can I use any M.2 key-B slot to PCI-e and any riser, or do you recommend one brand specifically?

I already modified the firmware of H310 to IT mode and I was able to run this card in a normal PC box (with Windows and Linux) and even in a Lenovo Workstation, so I think it's not going to be a problem. Has even a "tape trick" in 2 PCI-e pins to be able to boot from this card.

PS: @waltervl, Thank you!

Thank you

waltervl likes this.
  5. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Please make sure the external PSU is supplying the M.2 key-B+M to PCIe adapter with the 12V DC.
    In my own arrangement, I use that DC12V to supply that adapter (which in turn, supplying power to the PCIe card itself) as well as the UDOO x86 board. So they are powering both (and powering off) at the same time.
    BTW, the 12V on the PCIe card does not backfeed (12V) into UDOO x86 board. But the PCIe card's 3.3V I/O signals are "live". Not a major issue, but I prefer the right way: "powering both at the same time".

The M.2 slot has a 3.3V power, but it's really meant for light duty usage.

re: riser board, eGPU card, or simple adapter
    It's a personal choice, aesthetic reasons (e.g., eGPU card in its own chassis looks nicer), one chasis or two decision, mechanical (vibration shake loose things), and total cost all play part.

6. rgip

rgip New Member

OK! Thank you one more time.

Just for curiosity, about the PSU.
    I'm using mine to power UDOO x86, Sata HDD (directly in PSU) and wireless router and modem (I make the P4 plug).
    It's has plenty of Watts and cables to use. But I hard-wired the atx pins to keep the PSU turned on. You said : "So they are powering both (and powering off) at the same time"
    Do you make an ATX controller for that, or you just power down (without shutdown the udoo)? :) How can achieve this at same time?

Thanks again!
    My best regards

7. rgip

rgip New Member

BTW, which M.2 key-B+M to PCIe adapter do you use? The model or chipset? :)
    Do you use which PCIe card on it? It's for SATA? If yes, which one?

Thank you !

8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer