Power supply compatibility list

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Flash2k6, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Joe L.

Joe L. UDOOer

Does it have to be a USB-C connection? I found the battery pack in the link below which has both a 20v and 12v DC outputs, and seems like it would be perfect for powering both the V8 as well as a repurposed laptop screen.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YP823N...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Would this work well for the V8?

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Offical spec on UDOO Bolt's DC-in 4.5x3.0 jack is 19V, thus if that battery pack can output 19V instead 20V that will be better.
    Regarding the battery pack itself, there might be undersiable effects and it's model by model design...
    1. output both 20V and 12V simultaneously?
    1a. <-- at the same time?
    2. power disruption during power output protocol negotiation
    <-- in user feedback segment, a user commented that by pluging in a USB powered device, the act triggered the other output (20V one?) to be disrupted briefly (That will be very bad!!!)
    3. the spec stated it has the low current consuming limit (12V one is 150mA, 20V one is 200 mA).
    <-- this is to preserve battery capacity, on the other hand, your UDOO or improvised HDMI monitor most likely cannot go to power saving/sleeping mode or the battery pack will shutdown
    4. Not air transportable
    5. price tag IMHO not attractive

Joe L. likes this.
  3. Joe L.

Joe L. UDOOer

Okay, thanks for the advice!
    Are there any battery packs that you would trust with the UDOO? Or would you always advise against it. I thought I saw on one of the other threads that someone got it to work with a Zendure Supertank.

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

There were some discussions on the battery pack with the PROPER USB-C PD capability. You can find them (tested and working) in earlier threads.
    Key is simplicity: only one output port (USB-C for 20V 3A output) is used, no more and no less.
    Note this type is not a good fit for zero touch use cases. I.e., at some point, a human user
    has to press the pack's power button to activate the battery pack (when UDOO Bolt was down), or
    rearrange the USB-C cable to charge the battery pack.

Joe L. likes this.
  5. Joe L.

Joe L. UDOOer

I don't mind having to press the power button to activate the battery pack prior to turning on the UDOO Bolt. I will have to do something similar for the screen. It sounds like the safest route is having two separate power sources; one for the screen, and one for the Bolt. I'd like to find a battery pack that is compatible with the Bolt that also has pass-through charging so that it has the feel of a laptop battery. I'll probably keep looking. Thank you for your help!

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Pass-thru charging, especially if taking power feed (the supply side) is greater than what the PC (Bolt) needs,
    is essentailly a poorman's UPS. A laptop is also done that way.
    For a battery pack with USB-C PD-source (20V 3A profile), and a high enough PD sink (taking in power feed) is going to be very rare, unless a full custom designed DIY.

7. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

BTW, I once saw a kickstarter project with that type of spec
    and the price was almost $300.

8. rdslw

rdslw UDOOer

9. riri0

riri0 UDOOer

Reporting in, recent acquired a Dell U2720Q and the our Bolt displays 4k60Hz and powered via a single USB C cable. The monitor itself allows up to 90w of USB C PD, so this setup is quite nice if you want to go for minimalism. Only a single wire to the monitor then to the Udoo plus wireless everything else for ultimate neatness. Now we just need to find a way to vesa mount it and the Dell monitor stand together to make it perfect.

10. Project SBC

Project SBC UDOOer

I’ve been trying to make a usb c Pd ups for awhile now and I’ve successfully tested my first prototype. This could potentially work with a udoo bolt as well. I would suggest a 4s2p pack at least for a udoo bolt.

Link to twitter post:
    https://twitter.com/projectsbc/status/1301820616144814080?s=21

I’ll post a build and test video in the next few days. I’ll update this post then.

11. HARIHARAN

HARIHARAN UDOOer

Heyy..!! were you able to test and confirm if you can power Udoo Bolt V8 using these 2

1) Monoprice Obsidian Speed Plus USB Desktop Charger
    2) SuperTank

I am looking for options to power the Bolt V8 with a portable battery pack

12. gl0p

gl0p UDOOer

13. va4150

va4150 UDOOer

Has anyone attempted to use an RC battery to power the udoo bolt v8?