Programming for UDOO

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by rpgnick, Jun 23, 2013.

1. rpgnick

rpgnick New Member

Hello everyone!

As a software developer, I'm wondering what is needed to program for UDOO. This is the first time I'll be working with a board like this and the first time I'll actually use Linux. I have experience in many programming languages, so I'll be able to assist on these forums for programming questions.

What programming languages are supported? I imagine something easy to pickup for non-programmers like Python, but what about higher level languages? I'd love to dig through some documentation to see how the libraries are structured and what functions are available.

Thanks in advance!

2. bolts25

bolts25 New Member

The board runs Linux. It has 1GB of RAM and a quad processor. You could use virtually any development language you desire. C, C++, Java, javaFX,Python, perl, php etc etc.

3. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Hi rpgnik,

bolts25 got the point. With linux you could virtually use any language while with Android java is the main language.

For the documentation and the libraries: we will be able to share something once we have a fully stable version of UDOO, let's say for the end of the summer.

Any help you'll give us will be really appreciated, thanks.

4. mkopack

mkopack Member

The big issues will be the following:

API/Libraries in multiple languages to support the various buses that the UDOO provides on the i.MX6 chip. (Hopefully at least C/C++, Python, maybe even a Java API?)

For the SAM3X8E Atmel side, it's going to basically be you write your program in the Arduino environment like you would any other Arduino board. If you'd like to get started learning how to do that, go look at www.arduino.cc. It's a pretty simple language to pick up and do things with. You'll effectively write your program in the Arduino editor environment inside of the Linux desktop environment running off the i.MX6 chip, and then "flash" the program onto the Atmel chip to do all the hardware stuff with the pins on that side of the board. You can get data back and forth between the Atmel chip and the Linux/Android environment through a number of ways (serial, etc.)

Hope this helps. I already do a lot of this sort of thing with a Raspberry Pi and an add-on board called an Ala-mode which adds an Arduino Uno on top of a Raspberry Pi.

5. pepelephew

pepelephew New Member

Hello From Indonesia......

hope this board fully compatible with all arduino shield...

6. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

7. Robbob

Robbob New Member

It'll be compatible with DUE shields not all arduino shields , right? Cause of the DUE pinout and voltage ( 3.3V) being different no? And by the way apart from the voltage is the pinout the same as the mega?

8. mkopack

mkopack Member

Rob: Don't hold me to this, but I believe there are some VERY smaller differences between the Due and the Mega, just like there were between the Leonardo and the Duo... You could check arduino.cc for the pinouts of both. With the Duo->Leo they added 2 pins and split out some functions that were being shared on those 2 pins on the Duo so that there are discrete pins for that function now. Otherwise the only other real difference is the voltage. I'm betting the same was done with Mega-->Due.

9. Xanatos

Xanatos UDOOer

Since it is using the Arduino Due processor not all Arduino shields will work. Only the shields that run on 3.3v logic. 5V shields will damage the Due processor.

It depends which Arduino Mega you are comparing it with. Any Megas that carry the R3 tag(revision 3) will have the same pinouts as the Due. They added 4 pins total in R3. SDA and SCL pins were added next to the AREF pin and IOREF pin that will be used later to determine if shields are 3.3v or 5v logic and unused pin near the RESET pin. Even if the pinout is R3 compatible I would still check to make absolutely sure that it's running 3.3v before its used on the Due.

10. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah that was it. Unfortunately all my arduino stuff is currently in storage due to a recent move so I couldn't remember for sure.

11. rpgnick

rpgnick New Member

Alright, thanks all for the replies!

I'll be sure to look into the Arduino documentation, but it looks really easy. Can't wait to get my hands on the libraries and start programming!

12. syl2078

syl2078 New Member

Hi
    I just have one quetion^^
    I am going to buy an UDOO QUAD but in section " download " one web site , there is no source for the UDOO QUAD.
    If I buy it , I could me served with the DUAL sources or I would be Stuck??
    Thank you

Best regard

13. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

We Updated the "Downloads" section yesterday with also the sources for the UDOO QUAD. Btw right now the "Downloads" page is for beta tester only, it will be available for final users on september with all the sources for DUAL and QUAD version.

14. firehopper

firehopper Member

I just checked, and the source points to the same url for both dual and quad.

15. miousername

miousername New Member

Hi udoo community,

I'm trying to port all gstreamer and gpu acceleration for ubuntu filesystem to debian wheezy armel filesystem, it could be interesting ?

16. miousername

miousername New Member

17. vijaylohan

vijaylohan New Member

hi,
    i not a regular programer.So i have a dough it may be a silly one.
    As this board have two processor one ARM Cortex-A9 and other one is SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 with 1 GB RAM.so my dough is can we use same space of RAM for SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 or we have to use its own space of RAM as its mention 512KB for storing code on arduino UNO board Spec.

Thank you

18. mickey

mickey New Member

Hi,

Will the UDOO board expose JTAG exclusively or by pin MUXING?

19. andrewhennessy

andrewhennessy New Member

I am wondering if the UDOO can be programmed to run off a android device connected to the internet. Also is it possible for the UDOO to react to a html page ran by the UDOO itself.

20. mkopack

mkopack Member

vijay:

I'm pretty sure the RAM space is separate - ie, you use the 1GB RAM only on the Cortex-A9 side, and then load your Arduino sketch up into the Cortex-M3's memory. The M3 can't use the 1GB RAM....